From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - Haiti - An Anglican Responsibility

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:52:21 -0700

Haiti - An Anglican Responsibility

Posted On : March 23, 2010 3:48 PM | Posted By : Webmaster
ACNS: http://www.aco.org/acns/news.cfm/2010/3/23/ACNS4692
Related Categories: ACO  South Africa  USA

?The Anglican Communion needs to be actively involved in helping the rebuilding and healing of
Haiti, working with the Église Épiscopale d?Haïti
(the Anglican/Episcopal Diocese of Haiti) and its bishop the Rt Revd Zaché
Duracin.? This was the message that Archbishop Thabo Makgoba of the Anglican Church
of Southern Africa wanted to share with the wider Communion after a visit to Haiti
4-7 March 2010. Archbishop Makgoba was present in Haiti on a solidarity visit and in
support of the work of The Gift of the Givers, the largest disaster relief
organisation based on the African continent, which is in process of delivering the
first shipment of relief supplies to meet urgent needs in Haiti following the
earthquake on 12 January 2010. Already the organization had sent medical teams
immediately after the catastrophe.

Archbishop Makgoba was accompanied by Bishop Pierre Whalon who was visiting as
an emissary of the Presiding Bishop of The Episcopal Church
(TEC), of which the Diocese of Haiti is a constituent member. Bishop Whalon,
the Bishop in charge of the Convocation of Episcopal Churches in Europe, is,
along with Bishop Duracin, one of the two francophone bishops of The Episcopal
Church. After his visit Bishop Whalon spoke about the experience to Clare Amos
of the Anglican Communion Office, and the following is based on their
conversation.

?What has happened in Haiti is probably the greatest natural disaster in
recorded modern history. It is estimated that up to 400,000 people have died,
and that is out of a total population of about 9 and a half million people.
Even before the catastrophe Haiti was in fairly dire straits, but the quake has
destroyed such things as the rudimentary sanitary system. Many, many people are
living in makeshift camps in shelters made of sticks, blankets and tarpaulin.
Within a month?s time the rainy season will arrive, and then three months down
the line it is the hurricane season. Obviously the dangers of typhoid and
cholera are present ? and will be more so, once the rains start. It is going to
get worse before it can get better. Many of the dead have not yet been buried
because their bodies are still trapped under the rubble. Of course this
intensifies the threat of disease.

In terms of its structures and buildings the Episcopal Diocese of Haiti has been savagely
hit. The cathedral compound in Port au Prince ? which also included a convent, the
theological college, primary, middle and high schools, a music school, vocational
training centre and a nearby home for special needs children ? has been almost completely
destroyed (see pictures). The stunning frescoes in the cathedral ? a UNESCO World
Patrimony site with scenes depicting Christ as a Haitian ? only remain in fragments.
Nearby, the diocese?s university and another secondary school were destroyed. Nine
university students lie buried in a mass grave, awaiting three others still under the
mountain of their school?s rubble. The families of all twelve also perished. The bishop?s
house and a nearby apartment building were obliterated.  A historic centre of the
Episcopal Diocese at Léogane, to the west of Port-au-Prince, where there is another
complex of churches, hospitals and schools, which offers the only four year nursing
diploma in the country, has also been severely damaged. The hospital which forms part of
the complex has been replaced temporarily by a field hospital ? though work on rebuilding
the original hospital has already begun. Of course in both complexes, at Port au Prince
and Léogane, there was considerable loss of human life. Seeing the makeshift graves
? and seeing and smelling still unburied bodies ? is a memory that will remain with me
for a very long time.

And yet in the midst of all this death and destruction there is the beginning of
resurrection. The spirit of the people was quite remarkable. People are working very
hard. They are determined to survive and they are doing so energetically. This was
really apparent in relation to the work of the Diocese itself. Not many people know
that the Diocese of Haiti is the largest Diocese in The Episcopal Church, with
120,000 faithful and over 250 schools. It was ? and still is ? a leading light in
the Haitian nation. In spite of the destruction of its physical plant, the Diocese
has organised relief, using its extensive network of lay leaders, and has put
together 23 camps where 30,000 people are sheltering. The theological college has
re-formed, and the home for special needs children has found a temporary home ? both
at Montrouis, in a less affected part of the country. I was greatly moved when we
went to visit the children there. It was completely dark so that we couldn?t
actually see the children but they still sang to us in French. ?We are happy to see
you, happy to have you here, please come again.? As we travelled on assessment
visits with the director of The Gift of the Givers ¬it became obvious that he
was deeply impressed with the capability of the Diocese to act as a key partner in
the delivery of relief supplies. And it is worth pointing out that this director is
a Muslim
? so it is a good example of interfaith cooperation to meet the needs of our
common humanity.

I would like to echo Archbishop Thabo?s reflection. The Anglican Communion
needs to be clearly identified with helping the church in Haiti in its work of
redevelopment of the country. I have certainly already been hearing of examples
of such support. Episcopal Relief and Development, along with many other
Anglican charities, has offered generous aid. The involvement of The Gift of
the Givers represents the desire of the families of Africa to be closely
involved. I have just been told about a recent song concert that school
children in Hong Kong have given in St John?s Cathedral to raise money for
Haiti. Around the world we want to show that as Anglicans we belong to each
other. Sharing the suffering of our Anglican brothers and sisters in Haiti, and
supporting them to rebuild their nation is a vital part of what it means to
live in Communion. ?