From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Euclid Avenue UCC update: 'Christ is our cornerstone'

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2010 20:52:25 -0700

Euclid Avenue UCC update: 'Christ is our cornerstone'

Written by Jeff Woodard
March 29, 2010

Greeting members and guests "here in this new place," the Rev. Terri Young led
Euclid Avenue Congregational UCC in Palm Sunday worship March 28, held at the site of the
recently vacated First United Methodist Church in Cleveland.

"My New York friend reminds me that 60 blocks is just three miles away," said Young, referring to
the new location necessitated by a lightning-induced fire last week that destroyed the church's 123-year-old
building down the street from First United. "This is the day that the Lord has made," she said.
"We will be glad and rejoice in it."

Standing in front of a hearty five-foot bouquet of spring flowers and greens donated by
nearby Trinity Cathedral Episcopal Church, Young assured about 100 worshipers that
"you are no longer strangers, wanderers."

"All of us are sensitive not only to our own grief, but to that of the whole world," said
Young. "Our Catholic brothers and sisters have also lost many houses of worship [in Cleveland]
recently. Therefore, we can begin to understand the passion. Lord, we come to you as a church about
to be reborn."

Removing a dozen building blocks from a cylindrical cardboard container, Young used the
children's message to emphasize the strength of a cornerstone ? and what happens when it
weakens and crumbles. "Without Christ, we don't have a foundation, but with him, we
can get through any disaster; we can get through anything. It's important for you
children ? and for our big children, too ? to pray and know that Christ is our
cornerstone."

Church Moderator Dean Sieck said stones from the destroyed building at 9606
Euclid Avenue will be available to EACC members as tokens of remembrance. Also
being remembered are the people from the burned building's neighborhood, in the
shadows of the Cleveland Clinic.

"The Clinic will have its chapel available on Wednesdays for the foreseeable future,"
said Young. "They will continue to offer grief counseling, massage and healing touch. God has
pushed us out the door and into the Clinic. The services that we have been providing to our friends
on the street over there will continue."

EACC will hold its Maundy Thursday services at Plymouth Congregational UCC in
Shaker Heights, with Good Friday services at University Circle United Methodist
Church in Cleveland.

For Easter Sunday, the Rev. Curt Ackley, Western Reserve Association minister and executive, is
asking each of the association's 80 member churches to send a group to join EACC members at First
Church ? and to bring their banners in a display of unity. "I told him there are 700 seats
here," said Young. "He said they will all be filled."

As worshipers left the Palm Sunday service to gather in the fellowship hall downstairs, EACC member Al Parks approached a first-time EACC visitor. "Welcome," he said, extending his hand. "It's good to have you here. This was a very humbling service for us today. I hope you join us again."