From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Editorial: Relying on the cross – the mark of salvation and suffering

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:32:16 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3030 Edition

>March 22~28, 2010

Editorial: Relying on the cross – the mark of salvation and  suffering

>Translated by Lydia Ma

God has a comprehensive plan to redeem humanity which has always  progresses as

scheduled. From the beginning to the end, nothing about this  redemption plan
is left up to

chance. Jesus’ birth marked the start of this plan because  his birth and his
life were fulfillments

of prophesies uttered by many prophets in the Old Testament.  Jesus’ suffering,
or his

“passion”, marked the culmination of God’s  salvation plan.

Jesus offered himself as a sacrifice for the sins of humanity so  that the
relationship between

God and humanity could be restored. He endured unimaginable  suffering and
became the

mediator between humans and God. Because of Jesus’ sacrifice,  Christians all
over the world

remember and celebrate Passion Week around this time every year.

The reason the cross is viewed as a sign of suffering dates back  to the
Persian Empire. At the

time, Persians viewed the earth as a sacred offering for their  god, Ormuzd,
and wouldn’t allow

criminals sentenced to death to defile the earth with their last  breath.
Therefore, they wouldn’t

let criminals who were about to be executed to touch the ground.

Centuries later, the Roman Empire adopted this practice and  incorporated it in
their

crucifixions – a death sentence so cruel it was reserved only  for non-citizens
and those

accused of treason, and Jesus fit the criteria.

The cross was considered the cruelest death sentence and a curse  in those
days. Those who

died by crucifixion endured a slow and extremely painful death.  Jewish author,
Joseph

Gedaliah Klausner (1874-1958) described crucifixion as the  cruelest type of
retributive justice.

Presbyterian churches initially didn’t want to put up crosses  on their
churches because the

cross was seen as a curse and a sign of suffering. This sentiment  remained
even as the

>gospel reached Scotland.

It wasn’t until the 19th century that crosses began to be  erected in
Presbyterian churches. By

that time, crosses were erected so that Christians could look up  and rely on
that sign of

salvation and suffering because the cross symbolizes suffering,  sacrifice,
salvation, love,

hope, and Christ as our mediator. The cross became a reminder of  the suffering
Christ

endured to accomplish God’s redemption plan.

As we approach Passion Week, those of us who’ve been redeemed  need to reflect
on

Christ’s suffering and how Jesus paid for humanity’s  sins. Let us also offer
ourselves to God

and pray for God’s protection and guidance. May our faith in  Christ and in his
sacrifice give us

hope in our days of suffering and helplessness.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)