From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[LCMSNews] 'Fan into Flame' tops $55.9 million

From "LCMS e-News" <LCMSENEWS@lcms.org>
Date Fri, 2 Apr 2010 17:08:23 -0500

>4.2.2010
>       LCMS News
>

>THE LUTHERAN CHURCH Missouri Synod

        April 2, 2010 .................... LCMSNews -- No. 31

Fan into Flame tops $55.9 million, funds 29 missionaries

Fan into Flame, the capital campaign to raise $100 million for new
Ablaze!-related ministries, has raised a total of $55,974,047 --
representing some 21,500 gifts and pledges -- as of March 26.

>Of that total:

>*      $27,844,719 was received in cash donations.

*       $2,524,655 has been raised so far this year.

The six-year campaign was endorsed by the 2004 LCMS convention to run
through the Synod's 2010 convention, July 10-17 in Houston.

So far, 32 of the Synod's 35 districts have taken part in Fan into
Flame.  Seven of them still have ongoing campaigns, including the
Michigan District, which has set a goal of $3 million.

The district incorporated Fan into Flame into its own districtwide
campaign that was launched to raise funds for "intentional mission
development" and providing scholarships for professional church-work
students.  Its Fan into Flame funds are earmarked for international
ministries, and so far, more than $143,000 has been used to support
missionaries and other projects.

In spite of statewide economic struggles, "district congregations have
significantly impacted all three campaign initiatives through their
faithful gifts and pledges [of $5.2 million], even as they are being
challenged," said Ray Zavada, the district's vice president of
development.  "New gifts and pledges continue to arrive each week as
congregations of the Michigan District make their participation
decisions after months of prayer and discussion."

The district's congregations, Zavada added, "have a long history of
being faithful and committed to our Great Commission responsibility, and
our partnership campaign is another illustration of what God can
accomplish through His people working together for the sake of the
kingdom."

Each LCMS congregation and district that contributes to Fan into Flame
receives back a net 15 percent portion of the funds they collect to
start new outreach ministries.

Campaign gifts are distributed quarterly to fund new outreach
ministries:

*       in local communities, by participating congregations.

*       in U.S. regions, by participating districts.

*       nationally, including church planting and "revitalization" of
existing congregations.

*       worldwide, through missionaries and partner churches.

The campaign, in fact, already has made it possible for LCMS World
Mission to place 29 missionaries in seven U.S. cities and 15 countries,
including Czech Republic, Germany, Hong Kong, Panama, and Uganda.

A Fan into Flame distribution of $500,000 is being used to complete
construction of a Lutheran seminary in Accra, Ghana, West Africa, and
another $900,000 from the campaign will help start an international
Lutheran school in Southeast Asia.

Since its start, Fan into Flame has provided $7.3 million to
participating districts and congregations for new and expanded
Ablaze!-related ministries that include:

>*      starting new congregations.

>*      strengthening existing congregations.

>*      supporting ethnic ministries.

>*      beginning "mother's day out" programs.

>*      expanding and starting child care programs.

*       canvassing neighborhoods with church information.

*       sending Lutherans to foreign mission fields.

Regardless of whether or not Fan into Flame meets its $100 million goal,
these new outreach ministries would not have been possible without the
campaign, notes Jeffrey A. Craig-Meyer, who oversees the fundraising as
associate executive director of Development Services with LCMS World
Mission.

"I just continue to be extremely excited about the work that has
happened and will continue to happen because of this campaign,"
Craig-Meyer said.

"It's not only about raising money -- it's about preaching the Gospel,"
and that's something more than 1,100 LCMS congregations have done with
their Fan into Flame disbursements, he said.

Quoting mission board Chairman Butch Almstedt, Craig-Meyer said the
campaign is about "getting people out of the pew and onto the pavement,
proclaiming Christ with a passion."

Two Fan into Flame annual reports -- for 2008 and 2009 -- are available
online at http://www.fanintoflamelcms.org (click on "Reports").  The
2010 report is expected to be available this fall.

If you have questions or comments about this LCMSNews release, contact
Joe Isenhower Jr. at joe.isenhower@lcms.org
<mailto:joe.isenhower@lcms.org>  or (314) 996-1231, or Paula Schlueter
Ross at paula.ross@lcms.org <mailto:paula.ross@lcms.org>  or (314)
996-1230.

This Edition of "LCMS News" e-News is provided
by:

Board for Communication Services, Division of News and Information

Contact Editor

<http://www.lcms.org/enews/contact_editor.asp?title=LCMS%20News&editori d
=6>

This LCMS e-News message comes from a "Send Only" mailbox that
does not recognize replies. To reply to this message, please click on
"Contact Editor" above.

>_____

To subscribe to or unsubscribe from this Newsletter and many others,
please visit LCMS e-News <http://www.lcms.org/enews> .
Share this Newsletter <http://www.lcms.org/enews/forward.asp?m=8612
with a Friend.
MessageId=8612 UserId=10073

>_____

© 2002 - 2008 The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod  <http://www.lcms.org/
.
No reproduction without consent. All rights reserved.