From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Bulletin inserts for April 18 explore 'sense' of summer camp programs / Easter joy comes in th

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 7 Apr 2010 06:31:58 -0400

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Bulletin inserts for April 18 explore 'sense' of summer
camp programs
* TOP STORY - Easter joy comes in the midst of death
* TOP STORY - 'The Lord is with all Haitians,' Bishop Duracin says in
Easter message
* TOP STORY - 'Fear not, for God is with us,' presiding bishop says in
Easter Vigil sermon
* WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Cross is a challenge to the world:
archbishop of Canterbury's Easter Day sermon
* WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Archbishop of Canterbury apologizes for
Irish Catholic child abuse comments
* WORLD REPORT - SOUTH AFRICA: Church heads condemn killing of
extremist white leader
* MULTIMEDIA - Diocese of Haiti celebrates Easter
* DAYBOOK - April 7: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EBAR PICK - "Walking on Fire: Haitian Women's Stories of Survival
and Resistance"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Bulletin inserts for April 18 explore 'sense' of summer camp programs

In "Coming to our senses," the ENS Weekly bulletin insert for April
18, Bill Slocumb, associate director of Episcopal Camps and Conference
Centers (ECCC), explores the ways in which summer camp experiences
touch the senses of sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste, bringing
the reality of God's creation closer.

To download inserts in PDF format, click here:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/95270_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Easter joy comes in the midst of death

Haitian Episcopalians welcome risen Lord, pray for the future

>By Pat McCaughan and Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] A spirit of resurrection was evident in
Haiti's Episcopal churches from the capital city Port-au-Prince to the
rural countryside during Holy Week and Easter.

An image gallery to accompany this story is here:
http://episcopalchurch.org/81991_121289_ENG_HTM.htm.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_121343_ENG_HTM.htm

>_ _ _ _ _

'The Lord is with all Haitians,' Bishop Duracin says in Easter message

[Episcopal News Service] Nearly three months after a magnitude-7
earthquake decimated wide swaths of Haiti and destroyed much of the
infrastructure of the Episcopal Diocese of Haiti, Bishop Jean Zaché
Duracin said his Easter homily that "The Lord is with all Haitians."

"We can no longer continue to look for Jesus among the dead (Luke
24:5), we can no longer remain in tears because of our dead, because,
if during their earthly life, they knew love, their place is in the
Kingdom with the Lord to reign with Him in His eternal glory," Duracin
said.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_121257_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

'Fear not, for God is with us,' presiding bishop says in Easter Vigil  sermon

[Episcopal News Service] "Fear not, for God is with us," Presiding
Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori said in her Easter Vigil sermon April
3. "Fear not, and join the feast created before the beginning of the
world."

Jefferts Schori presided and preached at the Easter Vigil at Christ
Church, Binghamton, New York, in the Diocese of Central New York.

The text of the presiding bishop's sermon is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_121256_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

ENGLAND: Cross is a challenge to the world: archbishop of Canterbury's
Easter Day sermon

[Lambeth Palace] Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams has used his
Easter sermon to urge Christians to keep a proper sense of proportion
when they feel they are experiencing opposition to their faith and
remember both the physical suffering of Christian minorities in other
countries and call to mind what exactly the cross stands for in their
faith.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_121267_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

ENGLAND: Archbishop of Canterbury apologizes for Irish Catholic child
abuse comments

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams has
expressed "deep sorrow" for comments he made about the Roman Catholic
Church losing credibility over the child abuse scandal in Ireland.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_121303_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

SOUTH AFRICA: Church heads condemn killing of extremist white leader

>By Munyaradzi Makoni

[Ecumenical News International, Cape Town] Christian leaders in South
Africa have condemned the slaying of an extreme right wing leader in
the country, Eugene Terre'Blanche, and have called on political
leaders to urge restraint at a time of rising racial tension.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_121266_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MULTIMEDIA

Image Gallery: Diocese of Haiti celebrates Easter
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81991_121289_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On April 7, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On April 7, 1199, England's King Richard I, the
"Lionhearted," died at age 41. Richard, as one of the three leaders of
the Third Crusade, negotiated Christian access to Jerusalem.

>_____________________

>EBAR PICK

"Walking on Fire: Haitian Women's Stories of Survival and Resistance"
by Beverly Bell, foreword by Edwidge Danticat, paperback, 272 pages,
c. 2001, $21.

[Cornell University Press] Haiti, long noted for poverty and
repression, has a powerful and too-often-overlooked history of
resistance. Women in Haiti have played a large role in changing the
balance of political and social power, even as they have endured
rampant and devastating state-sponsored violence, including torture,
rape, abuse, illegal arrest, disappearance, and assassination.

Beverly Bell, an activist and an expert on Haitian social movements,
brings together thirty-eight oral histories from a diverse group of
Haitian women. The interviewees include, for example, a former prime
minister, an illiterate poet, a leading feminist theologian, and a
vodou dancer. Defying victim status despite gender- and state-based
repression, they tell how Haiti's poor and dispossessed women have
fought for their personal and collective survival.

The women's powerfully moving accounts of horror and heroism can best
be characterized by the Creole word istwa, which means both "story"
and "history." They combine theory with case studies concerning
resistance, gender, and alternative models of power. Photographs of
the women who have lived through Haiti's recent past accompany their
words to further personalize the interviews in Walking on Fire.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.