From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Tributes pour in for American Indian leader, Wilma Mankiller

From "Franziska Surber" <Franziska.Surber@warc.ch>
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2010 15:46:39 +0200

>World Alliance of Reformed Churches
>News Release

Tributes pour in for American Indian leader, Wilma Mankiller

Tributes from Reformed church leaders are pouring in for Wilma
Mankiller, an American Indian rights advocate who died Tuesday at
64 after a brief illness. Mankiller, a member of the Cherokee
Nation in the United States, was scheduled to be a keynote
speaker this June at a global assembly of the World Alliance of
Reformed Churches (WARC) and the Reformed Ecumenical Council
(REC) in Grand Rapids, United States.

Prior to being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, Mankiller had
agreed to make a keynote presentation at the Uniting General
Council (UGC) which will launch the World Communion of Reformed
Churches from a merger of WARC and REC.

“Chief Mankiller’s dedication to the rights of Indigenous
peoples would have brought an important challenge to all of our
churches to act with justice on behalf of the First Peoples of
our various countries,” says event organizer, Stephan Kendall, in
a statement issued from his office with the Presbyterian Church
in Canada.

Issues affecting American Indian and Canadian First Nations’
peoples are an important feature of the UGC agenda. Programme
highlights include the ceremonial invitation by local tribal
leaders for delegates to meet in their land and a worship service
led by American Indian Christians.

"We had looked forward to having Chief Mankiller inspire the
Uniting General Council and will deeply miss her presence with
us,” says WARC President, Clifton Kirkpatrick. “However, her
legacy will live on, and we commit ourselves to working for the
kind of world where all can live with peace and justice that she
believed in so strongly."

As a community development worker with her people in the western
American state of Oklahoma, Mankiller initiated successful
programmes for health, housing, education and poverty
eradication. In 1987, she became the first woman elected as
Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation in the western American
state of Oklahoma. In 1994, Mankiller was inducted into the
National Women’s Hall of Fame in the United States and in 1995
she was presented with the Presidential Medal of Freedom by
then-President Clinton. It is the highest honour given to an
American citizen.

“Chief Mankiller will be mourned by all Indigenous people and
certainly by Indigenous women for whom she was a role model. She
exemplified the strength, wisdom and attention to the well-being
of her community for which Indigenous women have been honoured
historically by their people,” says Lori Ransom, a church
advocate for Indigenous people’s rights, with the Presbyterian
Church in Canada.

Levi Rickett, a leader in the American Indian community in Grand
Rapids, says in a statement: “Certainly the American Indian
people have lost a true warrior. But I will say the nation ̵  the
United States of America ̵and the world have lost a true leader
who understood the meaning of dedication and sacrifice to her
people and the world at large.”

“We in WARC have seen Wilma Mankiller’s impact for life, for
justice and for her own community and far beyond,” says WARC
General Secretary, Setri Nyomi. “We thank God for her life and
impact and will pray for her family and for the Cherokee
nation.”

“We have lost a strong and passionate advocate of her people's
rights. I pray that her family and people will find some comfort
in knowing of our respect and admiration for her,” says Richard
van Houten, REC General Secretary.

REC President, Peter Borgdorff adds, “We hope her legacy will
continue to inspire others to pursue the path of grace,
compassion and justice for all."

Mankiller leaves two daughters, Felicia and Gina, and her
husband, Charlie Soap as well as four grandchildren and several
great-grandchildren.

***

The World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) brings together
75 million Reformed Christians in 214 churches in 107 countries -
united in their commitment to making a difference in a troubled
world. The WARC general secretary is Rev. Dr. Setri Nyomi of the
Evangelical Presbyterian Church, Ghana. WARC's secretariat is
based in Geneva, Switzerland.