From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Tributes pour in for American Indian leader, Wilma Mankiller

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 15:22:00 -0400

World Alliance of Reformed Churches
News Release

Tributes pour in for American Indian leader, Wilma Mankiller

Tributes from Reformed church leaders are pouring in for Wilma Mankiller, an
American Indian rights advocate who died Tuesday at 64 after a brief illness.
Mankiller, a member of the Cherokee Nation in the United States, was scheduled
to be a keynote speaker this June at a global assembly of the World Alliance of
Reformed Churches (WARC) and the Reformed Ecumenical Council (REC) in Grand
Rapids, United States.

Prior to being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, Mankiller had agreed to make a
keynote presentation at the Uniting General Council (UGC) which will launch the
World Communion of Reformed Churches from a merger of WARC and REC.

â??Chief Mankillerâ??s dedication to the rights of Indigenous peoples would have
brought an important challenge to all of our churches to act with justice on behalf of the
First Peoples of our various countries,â?? says event organizer, Stephan Kendall, in a
statement issued from his office with the Presbyterian Church in Canada.

Issues affecting American Indian and Canadian First Nationsâ?? peoples are an
important feature of the UGC agenda. Programme highlights include the ceremonial
invitation by local tribal leaders for delegates to meet in their land and a worship
service led by American Indian Christians.

"We had looked forward to having Chief Mankiller inspire the Uniting General Council and will
deeply miss her presence with us,â?? says WARC President, Clifton Kirkpatrick.
â??However, her legacy will live on, and we commit ourselves to working for the kind of world
where all can live with peace and justice that she believed in so strongly."

As a community development worker with her people in the western American state of
Oklahoma, Mankiller initiated successful programmes for health, housing, education
and poverty eradication. In 1987, she became the first woman elected as Principal
Chief of the Cherokee Nation in the western American state of Oklahoma. In 1994,
Mankiller was inducted into the National Womenâ??s Hall of Fame in the United
States and in 1995 she was presented with the Presidential Medal of Freedom by
then-President Clinton. It is the highest honour given to an American citizen.

â??Chief Mankiller will be mourned by all Indigenous people and certainly by Indigenous
women for whom she was a role model. She exemplified the strength, wisdom and attention to the
well-being of her community for which Indigenous women have been honoured historically by
their people,â?? says Lori Ransom, a church advocate for Indigenous peopleâ??s
rights, with the Presbyterian Church in Canada.

Levi Rickett, a leader in the American Indian community in Grand Rapids, says in a statement: â??Certainly the American Indian people have lost a true warrior. But I will say the nation ̵ the United States of America ̵ and the world have lost a true leader who understood the meaning of dedication and sacrifice to her people and the world at large.â??

â??We in WARC have seen Wilma Mankillerâ??s impact for life, for justice and for her own
community and far beyond,â?? says WARC General Secretary, Setri Nyomi. â??We thank God for her
life and impact and will pray for her family and for the Cherokee nation.â ??

â??We have lost a strong and passionate advocate of her people's rights. I pray that
her family and people will find some comfort in knowing of our respect and admiration for
her,â?? says Richard van Houten, REC General Secretary.

REC President, Peter Borgdorff adds, â??We hope her legacy will continue to inspire
others to pursue the path of grace, compassion and justice for all."

Mankiller leaves two daughters, Felicia and Gina, and her husband, Charlie Soap
as well as four grandchildren and several great-grandchildren.

***

The World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) brings together 75 million
Reformed Christians in 214 churches in 107 countries - united in their
commitment to making a difference in a troubled world. The WARC general
secretary is Rev. Dr. Setri Nyomi of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church,
Ghana. WARC's secretariat is based in Geneva, Switzerland.

Contact:
Kristine Greenaway
Executive Secretary, Communications
World Alliance of Reformed Churches