From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Rev. Moss to faith communicators: "Remix your message"

From "RCCongress 2010" <webmaster@rccongress2010.org>
Date Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:22:23 -0400

>by Deb Christian

>CHICAGO (RCCongress2010) April 10, 2010

When a pastor known for his work in developing a new generation of
prophetic leaders in a faith tradition and for bridging the generation
gap stands up and tells you to be ready to "remix" your message, you
stop for a few minutes and listen.

In a Friday plenary address delivered at the April 7-10 Religion
Communication Congress 2010 in Chicago, Rev. Otis Moss, pastor of
Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, made the point to the
gathering of faith communications professionals that the older
generation should be ready to "remix your message".

Rev. Moss contrasted the leadership styles of Old Testament figures
Moses and Joshua, beginning his story with the statement that "Moses
was dead....," and went on to highlight other differences.

"Moses was a pastoral leader," Rev. Moss said, "Joshua was a military
man. Moses was doo-wop, Joshua was hip hop. Moses had a hymnbook,
Joshua had a radio. Moses was building a church, Joshua was building a
community.

"They had the same values, but different methods, and the same is true
for us today," Rev. Moss continued. "Learn how to remix. Take the
tried and true values and remix those for the new generation. Give
them a new beat.

"Joshua was able to remix because Moses gave him the tools. We must be
willing to do what Moses did; transfer power. We can advise, as Moses
did, but we must let the new generation reach their own. We should
provide the mentoring. Don't let the Donald Trumps of the world train
them."

"We support our generation, the young people will support theirs. Only
the method will change, not the message. Remix love, compassion,
justice, race, and faithfulness, "he said.

During the question and answer period following the speech, Rev. Moss
and a member of the audience agreed on a final point: "It is important
to recognize that while Moses was dead, the God who spoke to him is
not dead."

Rev. Moss has done extensive research in the areas of African-American
culture, theology and youth development.

RCCongress2010 is the fifth meeting of a once-a-decade event for
communication professionals from a variety of faith traditions.

Deb Christian, a member of the communications committee for
RCCongress2010, is customer care director for the United Methodist
Reporter.

Photo at http://www.rccongress2010.org/news/remixyourmessage.shtml