From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Use new communication venues to spread message of hope

From "RCCongress 2010" <webmaster@rccongress2010.org>
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:54:34 -0400

>by Deb Christian

CHICAGO (RCCongress 2010), April 9 - Pluralism: more than one of
something; diverse; opposite of a single approach or method.

"Pluralism begins with difference. Real religious pluralism means our
engagement with one another requires building sturdy relationships,"
said Diana Eck, developer and director of The Pluralism Project at
Harvard University, in a Friday keynote address to participants in
Religion Communication Congress 2010.

Noting the challenges faced in the United States with its complex
religious landscape, Dr. Eck noted that, "religious faith is a
powerful force in people's lives and choices. We must find new ways to
spread the message of hope through new communication venues in our
world."

The Pluralism Project tries to bring changing views on religion into
the open. "Who are 'we the people.' now," she asked. "This is a new
world of encounter for many Americans."

"We are not all the same. Pluralism begins there. Trying to understand
these differences is a great human challenge," Dr. Eck said. "The
world is changed with faith practices of those we know little about.
How do we deal with religious differences?"

Noting that diversity is a fact in our world and that borders are
often only dotted lines on a map, she reminded the audience that in
our electronically connected world, no one really speaks in private.
Consider the results of a Danish cartoon depicting the Prophet
Mohammed or the angry speech of an Egyptian Imam that fuels fears in
Israeli and American Jews. "We are linked and interdependent."

"Pluralism is more than differences, more than tolerance. It requires
we know something of others. It is based on relationships." The
Pluralism Project tries to bring changing views into the open.

Dr. Eck summed up the presentation. "Religious identity touches all
parts of life.

Join us to learn and interpret. The Pluralism Project is the work of
all us. Pluralism is energetic engagement, active seeking and based on
dialogue. We must ask ourselves what human capital do we need to
bridge our differences."

The Pluralism Project was developed to study and document the growing
religious diversity in the United States. Dr. Eck also is Professor of
Comparative Religion and Indian Studies, Wertham Professor of Law and
Psychiatry in Society at Harvard.

RCCongress 2010 is the once-a-decade gathering of communications
professionals from different from different faiths, different
countries, and different areas of faith. More than 500 participants in
this decade's event explored the theme "Embracing Change:
Communicating Faith in Today's World."

Deb Christian, a member of the communications committee for RCCongress
2010, is customer care director for the United Methodist Reporter

http://www.rccongress2010.org/news/dianaeckplenary.shtml