From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Missionary returns to post-quake Haiti / Bulletin inserts for April 25 outline work of Fundaci

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 04:47:52 -0400

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Missionary returns to post-quake Haiti
* TOP STORY - Bulletin inserts for April 25 outline work of Fundación
Cristosal in El Salvador
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - OREGON: diocese consecrates Michael Hanley as 10th  bishop
* WORLD REPORT - CONGO: Armed militia storm Bukavu bishop's home at  night
* MISSION -- Building a successful ministry for the blind in Tanzania
* PEOPLE - SCI appoints new river chaplain
* DAYBOOK - April 13: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EBAR PICK - "2010 Episcopal Liturgical Desk Calendar" Sale 40% off
(regular price of $16.95) $10.17

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

>Missionary returns to post-quake Haiti

>Progress made, much to be done, Holding says

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] Mallory Holding's friends who met her at the
Port-au-Prince airport on Maundy Thursday could tell by the lilt in
her voice that she was glad to be back in Haiti nearly three months
after the magnitude-7 earthquake of Jan. 12 cut short what was
supposed to have been her year of service in the Episcopal Diocese of
Haiti.

"They even noticed in my voice that I sounded happier," Holding said
April 12 during an interview with ENS.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_121444_ENG_HTM.htm

>_ _ _ _ _

Bulletin inserts for April 25 outline work of Fundación Cristosal in  El
Salvador

[Episcopal News Service] Fundación Cristosal, created in 2000, has
worked with the Episcopal Church and Episcopal Relief & Development to
help communities in El Salvador recover from an extended civil war and
a devastating earthquake in 2001. ENS Weekly bulletin inserts for
April 25 highlight the work of Fundación Cristosal to rebuild towns
and build sustainable agricultural projects, small businesses, schools
and churches.

Inserts may be downloaded here:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/95270_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

OREGON: diocese consecrates Michael Hanley as 10th bishop

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] The Rt. Rev. Michael Joseph Hanley was
consecrated the 10th Bishop of the Portland-based Episcopal Diocese of
Oregon on April 10 at the Hult Center in Eugene, Oregon.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_121443_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

CONGO: Armed militia storm Bukavu bishop's home at night

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] A group of unidentified gunmen forced their
way into the home of Congolese Bishop Sylvestre Bali-Busane Bahati of
the Diocese of Bukavu during the early hours of April 9, looting the
property and leaving with money, clothes and electronic equipment.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_121414_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

Building a successful ministry for the blind in Tanzania

>By Emily Cherry

In the last nine years, graduating students from the Buigiri School
for the Blind in the Diocese of Central Tanganyika taking Tanzania's
national exams have consistently placed their school in the top one
percent of the 14,000 primary schools in the country.

In 2009, the school placed 81st in the nation, while in 2006, it
ranked sixth overall.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_121441_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

>SCI appoints new river chaplain

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] The Seamen's Church Institute April 12
announced the appointment of the Rev. Kempton D. Baldridge to serve as
its newest Ministry on the River chaplain, effective June 1.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_121439_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On April 13, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On April 13, 1829, English Parliament granted
freedom of religion to Roman Catholics in the Emancipation Act and
within three weeks the first Roman Catholic was elected to parliament.

>_____________________

>EBAR PICK

"2010 Episcopal Liturgical Desk Calendar" Sale 40% off (regular price
of $16.95) $10.17

[Franklin X. McCormick Inc.] Easy-to-read display of complete
liturgical information and daily readings on 6 1/2"x 9 1/2" pages.
Liturgically color coded. One week displayed over two pages. Spiral
bound to lay flat.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.