From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Editorial: Speaking up for marginalized people in times of recession

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 17:42:24 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3032 Edition

>April 5~11, 2010

Editorial: Speaking up for marginalized people in times of  recession

>Translated by Lydia Ma

Just as churches wrapped up Easter celebrations, PCT got ready for  its annual
General

Assembly Meeting. As always, PCT General Assembly earnestly prays  that the
Holy Spirit will

work through delegates so that every issue discussed will  culminate in
resolutions that

delegates can agree on and take back to their respective churches.

The original purpose behind holding a General Assembly Meeting  every year was
to facilitate

pastors and church members to exchange ideas, despite their  different life
experiences and

visions. It was intended to be an instrument of the Holy Spirit to  help
churches prepare and

>realize their evangelical mission.

However, as PCT affiliated organizations grew and issues  pertaining to the
management of

these organizations also grew in number and complexity, General  Assembly
Meetings began

to revolve around issues relating to these organizations. In  contrast, new
missions and other

ministry initiatives began to be addressed only in passing and  without much
in-depth

>consideration.

Taiwan has reached a critical juncture in time and churches need  to spend more
time

reflecting on their mission during this critical time.  Globalization and its
effects hit Taiwan like

tidal waves, leaving many people jobless. One of  globalization’s worst impacts
is that it

snatched away confidence and hope in the hearts of today’s  youth. This
phenomenon should

command the attention of churches and prompt them to reach out to  younger
generations.

As the current KMT government forges ahead with an ECFA agreement  regardless of

negative consequences on Taiwanese society, merely signing a  petition to quick
start a

referendum is no longer enough for PCT churches.

About 25 years ago, faced with a battle for democracy, a  repressive KMT
regime, and

indifferent countries and international organizations, PCT  churches did some
soul-searching,

discussion, and theological reflection. Their efforts culminated  in a document
known as PCT

Statement of Faith in 1985 and this document was distributed to  all PCT local
churches.

This impressive document clarified and proclaimed the role and  vision of PCT
churches,

which includes: “We believe that the Church is the fellowship  of God's people,
called to

proclaim the salvation of Jesus Christ and to be an ambassador of
reconciliation. It is both

universal and rooted in this land, identifying with all its  inhabitants, and
through love and

>suffering becoming the sign of hope.”

Inspired by PCT Statement of Faith, the new motto adopted by the  General
Assembly this

year is “Let cultures flourish; let justice take root.”  According to PCT
Statement of Faith, the

church is an “ambassador of reconciliation”,  “rooted in this land and
identifying with all its

inhabitants.” This means that, as Taiwanese people struggle  with unprecedented
challenges,

PCT churches must figure out how they can contribute their part in  enhancing
national security,

>and environmental and economic justice.

As we approach the 150th anniversary of PCT, let us pray that this  year’s
General Assembly

Meeting will reinvigorate local churches so that they can see and  hear those
who are in need.

We hope that churches can break down old barriers of  self-centeredness, and
strive toward

sharing the gospel. We also pray for the Holy Spirit to guide  churches in
loving others

passionately, accepting the cost of doing so, and becoming a sign  of hope.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)