From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[APD] Polish Adventist Church mourns president and other victims of plane crash

From Christian B. Schäffler <APD@stanet.ch>
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:38:43 +0200

[APD] Polish Adventist Church mourns president and other victims of  plane crash

>‎

Warsaw/Poland, 13.04.2010/APD   The Seventh-day Adventist Church in  Poland
(Kościoła Adwentystów Dnia Siódmego w  Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej) joins the
Polish people and churches in  mourning the victims of the 10 April plane crash
in Smolensk, Russia, in  which President Lech Kaczynski and his wife, numerous
government and  military officials, and several church representatives died.
The  high-rank delegation was on its way to a ceremony honouring Polish
officers slain by the Soviet secret police in 1940 in and near the  forest of
Katyn in western Russia.

The president of the protestant Seventh-day Adventist Church adressed  April 10
a special condolence message to the Polish people. "In this  darkest day in the
post-WWII Poland - a tragic death for the President  and First Lady, Lech and
Maria Kaczynski, together with 94 other  passengers and crew members of the
presidential aircraft - the believers  and leadership of the Seventh-day
Adventist Church in the Republic of  Poland are uniting in sorrow and prayers
with the families of the  victims of this national tragedy," wrote Pastor
Lazar, president of the  Seventh-day Adventist Church in Poland.

"We all are unbelievably saddened. We are praying to our Almighty and  Merciful
God also for the leaders of our earthly Motherland, that they  may have wisdom
which flows from His Throne, to stand up to the highest  duty in this difficult
moment and lead our nation in the right  direction," Lazar concluded.

This shattering news reached believers during the Sabbath church  services. In
several Adventist congregations, such as in Warsaw and  Podkowa Lesna, from
which the services were videocast via the Internet,  believers in their
spontaneity prayed for the families of the victims  and the leaders on the
country, who now stood for a difficult task to  lead public service in the face
of such great tragedy.

The Adventist Church in Poland has 119 local churches with 5.728 adult
baptised members.

This article is also available on the Internet at:

Web Site:  <http://www.stanet.ch/APD> http://www.stanet.ch/APD