From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UCC?s precedent-setting viral launch to speak ?The Language of God?

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2010 19:49:40 -0400

UCC?s precedent-setting viral launch to speak ?The Language of God?

United Church of Christ leverages the internet, its members and the power of
social networking to spread the good news.

Cleveland, OH ?Coinciding with the 20th anniversary of the United Church of Christ?s decision
to relocate its national offices here from New York City, the UCC on April 16 is launching its
next "God is Still Speaking" commercial. Titled "The Language of God,? the
viral internet production marks the first time that the 1.1-million-member UCC is relying
exclusively on social networking and church members to spread the message.

?What makes this debut so significant is that we are counting on the moxy of our million-plus supporters to spiral this viral message around the world,? says the Rev. Felix Carrion, coordinator of the UCC's Stillspeaking Ministry. ?We're asking people to set aside the morning of April 16 for unparalleled texting, Twittering, Facebooking and emailing of this new spot.?

The 90-second video message is being produced by Think Media, a national
advertising firm known for its edgy, innovative video work. Its household-name
clients include the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Cleveland Clinic, Progressive
Insurance and Nestle.

"Marketing data now shows that our target audience is now more likely to be found sitting in
front of a computer screen instead of a TV screen," says the Rev. J. Bennett Guess, the UCC's
director of communications. "Just as we found it important to take to TV in 2004 and 2005,
we're taking to the internet on April 16 like no denomination has ever done before."

The launch of the ad is one of several prominent weekend events for the UCC.
Also on Friday, more than 500 guests from across the nation will gather at
Cleveland?s Renaissance Hotel Grand Ballroom for a dinner fund-raiser that will
serve as a prelude celebration for the installation of the Rev. Geoffrey A.
Black as general minister and president. Social hour begins at 5:30 p.m., with
the meal and presentations to follow.

Black?s installation service will be held the following day at Federated
Church, a UCC congregation in Chagrin Falls, Ohio. The service begins at 2 p.m.
April 17, with a reception will follow. Black succeeds the Rev. John H. Thomas,
who served 10 years in the office.

All are welcome at this weekend?s special events as the UCC celebrates Rev.
Black's leadership, strengthens a fund that will support him in his work, and
accelerates momentum for its new viral campaign.

Media is invited to attend both the Friday dinner and Saturday?s installation
service. For more information, please contact the Rev. Gregg Brekke, UCC news
director, at 216-736-2177 or brekkeg@ucc.org.