From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Editorial: The vision and needs of mass media ministries

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:35:36 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3033 Edition

>April 12~18, 2010

Editorial: The vision and needs of mass media ministries

>Translated by Lydia Ma

It is customary for PCT churches to devote one Sunday every month  fundraising
for one PCT

ministry. This occasion, which takes the form of a simple  announcement
accompanied by a

special offering envelope or a guest speaker scheduled for that  day’s sermon,
is an

opportunity to get congregations involved in evangelism and enable
PCT-affiliated

organizations to share their vision with local churches.

Giving a special offering on these “Ministry Sundays”  has become one of the
ways PCT

members match their faith with their actions and live out  PCT’s statement of
faith, especially

the part about being commissioned to proclaim the salvation of  Christ. Besides
participating

in God’s work, congregations also get a chance to assess PCT  ministries during
“Ministry

>Sundays”.

Of all the ministries Christians care about and support  financially, mass
media and

communications ministries stand out the most. With the founding of  New Eyes
Television

(NETV) two years ago, we finally saw PCT take on cable television  and design
programs that

promote Christian values to counter programs filled with violence  and gossip
in mainstream

>media.

Though faced with many challenges, including massive access fees  that forced
NETV to pull

out of cable television earlier this year, PCT never gave up on  the conviction
that mass media

was a great tool to reach the world with the gospel of Jesus  Christ.

In reality, PCT has been using media to share the gospel since  1885 when the
first issue of

Taiwan Church News was published. After using print media, PCT  moved on to
experiment

with other forms of media, such as radio, television, and finally,  internet.
Throughout the years,

it has never ceased trying to find new and better ways of using  media to share
the gospel of

>Jesus Christ with the rest of the world.

Electronic media is an intricate combination of pictures, sounds,  and words,
and its programs

must be designed and packaged to suit the needs of listeners.  Providing
effective, high-

quality evangelical programs that speak to the heart of viewers  and draw them
to Christ is

both an art and a technical challenge that requires constant  adjustments in
the way we do

>media evangelism.

As we remember “Mass Media and Communication Ministries  Sunday” this week, it
is our

prayer that every PCT member can perceive the needs of PCT mass  media
ministries and

support these ministries with their time and resources. Let’s  get involved in
proclaiming the

>salvation of Christ together!

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)