From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Viral United Church of Christ ad launch inundates YouTube

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:15:12 -0700

Viral UCC ad launch inundates YouTube

Written by Gregg Brekke
April 16, 2010

The Language of God from United Church of Christ on Vimeo.

Even before the UCC officially launched its new viral marketing message, The
Language of God, leaked links to the video had become so popular that YouTube
froze the view count on the message, thinking significant traffic was computer
generated and not legitimate  viewing.

"This is disappointing as we'd hoped to use the view count as an indicator of how broadly the
video had been distributed," said the Rev. J. Bennett Guess, the UCC's director of
communications. "On the plus side, it's exciting to know that we generated so much traffic
that YouTube flagged our video."
YouTube's policy, limiting the incrementing of a video's view counter, has been
broadly criticized for penalizing popular items that attain rapid success.
Their suspicion is that videos attaining such rapid popularity are being viewed
by
"viewbots" ? automated programs that view a given video multiple times.

Although the UCC initially spread the YouTube link through Twitter and its
Facebook fan and email newsletter lists, they have now begun directing viewers
to the same video posted at Vimeo, another video sharing service that does not
have view count restrictions.

In the first hour after switching its links to Vimeo, the view count had
registered in excess of 2,000 plays. Guess estimates the initial YouTube launch
may have generated tens of thousands of views. The UCC is currently working to
obtain an accurate count from  YouTube.

Reaction to the fast-paced, visually stimulating video has been positive. YouTube viewer,
revkirk, commented, "I've watched about a dozen times already. Each time I think my
heart beats faster and my smile gets wider."

The viral launch of this message has garnered national attention, with
front-page headlines in the Cleveland Plain Dealer and prominent blog features
in the Huffington Post and the Washington Post.

"If only one person sees this message and understands that God is as relevant today as in any
age, we've succeeded in our efforts," said Guess. "Of course, we know that it has already
reached many more and believe it will challenge us to consider how the Christian message continues
to be meaningful today."