From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC criticizes Arizona law as unjust and dangerous

From "Philip Jenks" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2010 14:48:28 -0400

Religious leaders say new Arizona immigration law
is unjust, dangerous and contrary to biblical teaching

See: www.ncccusa.org/news/100426arizonalaw.html

New York, April 26, 2010 -- The National Council of Churches and other
religious organizations have sharply criticized Arizona's new  immigration law
as fundamentally unjust, dangerous to citizens and  non-citizens alike, and a
rejection of centuries-old biblical precepts  of justice and neighborliness.

The Rev. Dr. Michael Kinnamon, NCC General Secretary, who last week  urged
Arizona Governor Jan Brewer to veto the legislation, reiterated  the view of
NCC member communions and Arizona religious leaders "that  this legislation
will not contribute to the reform of our nation's  immigration system" and may
stimulate similar anti-immigrant legislation  throughout the country.

Governor Brewer signed the measure into law April 23.

The new law makes it a crime to fail to carry immigration documents and  gives
law enforcement authority to detain anyone suspected of being in  the country
illegally.

"In addition to the basic unjustness of the law, the fact that police  now have
vaguely defined but broad powers to stop anyone on suspicion of  being an
undocumented immigrants creates an unacceptable potential for  wide-spread
police harassment and creates a danger for citizens as well  as non-citizens,"
Kinnamon said.

The Rev. Dr. David Leslie, Executive Director of the Ecumenical  Ministries of
Oregon and chair of the National Council of  Churches/Church World Service
Immigration Task Force, said, "The task  force is committed to further
mobilizing churches across the nation to  oppose this type of legislation in
other states, as well as work for the  overturning of the legislation in
Arizona. We will also continue our  efforts to push forward real immigration
reform based on the shared  religious principles of true justice, dignity of
all people and the rule  of law that protects all people fairly."

In signing the bill, Governor Brewer said she would ensure that the  police are
trained to implement the law without violating citizen's  rights. But she
contended the law provides an indispensable tool for the  police in a border
state where illegal immigration is rife. She said  racial profiling would not
be tolerated, adding, "We have to trust our  law enforcement."

But Kinnamon expressed doubt the law could be enforced with that kind of  care.

"This law will detract law enforcement from dealing with the criminal  element,
increase racial profiling, (and) cause even greater distress to  families and
society in general as large immigrant populations would be  pushed even further
into the shadows of our communities," he said.
In addition, the law undermines "the efforts of institutions like the  ones we
serve to build communities of justice and peace for all people,"  Kinnamon
said.

NCC News contact:  Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-2228 (office),  646-853-4212
(cell), pjenks@ncccusa.org