From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Editorial: Doing our best in the make-up exam on environmental protection

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:14:21 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3034 Edition

>April 19~25, 2010

Editorial: Doing our best in the make-up exam on environmental  protection

>Translated by Lydia Ma

April 22 is supposed to be a day when a point in both the North  Pole and the
South

Pole receive sunlight simultaneously. Though this fact remained  true this
year, what

we noticed about the north pole’s sky this year was not light  – but ash.

By now, we’ve all heard the news that a volcano beneath the  Eyjafjallajokull
glacier in

Iceland erupted April 14 and sent a cloud of ash into the  atmosphere. By the
next

day that cloud had reached Europe, prompting authorities to  quickly close the

airspace over safety concerns. What resulted from this decision  was the worst

disruption of air traffic since the September 11 terrorist attacks  in the
United States

>in 2001.

This “mass closure” of airspace resulted in 2,000 or so  Taiwanese tourists

vacationing in Europe having to delay their return flights –  some for as long
as one

whole week. Because of this delay, some tourists with chronic  disease
reportedly

ran out of meds and had to ask their tour guides to take them to a  hospital or

pharmacy to refill their prescriptions. They soon racked up a  massive bill as
their

Taiwanese health card was of no use in Europe.

However, these people’s misfortunes seem a trifle compared to  the respiratory

diseases that people living near Eyjafjallajokull might contract  or the
environmental

fallouts that may result from so much ash in the atmosphere,  including famine
and

>abnormal cooling of global temperatures.

If we look back in history, we will notice a similar incident  occurred in
1873-1874

when Laki, a volcanic fissure situated in the south of Iceland,  erupted over a
period

of 8 months. The eruption poured out an estimated 120 million  metric tons of
sulfur-

>dioxide that killed a lot of livestock.

These instances of clouds of poisonous ash and fumes could be  taken as heaven

heaving a deep and angry breath on us for the harm we’ve been  inflicting on the

environment, and warning us that we will not get away with it.

The last time Iceland was in the limelight was about two years  ago, when it
suddenly

found itself on the brink of bankruptcy. But unlike debts between  people or
countries

which can often be placated through mediation, natural disasters  are Mother

Nature’s way of saying she’s putting her foot down when  we’ve exceeded our
credit

limit, and they affect people indiscriminately.

In 1969, some students began preparations for a campus campaign  against the

Vietnam War. When Denis Hayes, a Harvard Law student, got involved  in this

movement, he suggested that students start a national grassroots  environmental

>movement.

With Hayes help, on April 22, 1970, more than 20 million Americans  from across
the

US participated in an Earth Day rally. As of 1990, more than 140  countries
around

the world have joined this movement called Earth Day Network.

It has been 40 years since the first Earth Day was celebrated and  this day
always

reminds us to become better stewards of the earth and has helped  us avert a few

>disasters.

However, we dare not become complacent or celebrate our  accomplishments. We

know that protecting and taking care of the environment must start  with a
humble and

grateful heart. We thank God for giving us a chance to retake our  test on

environmental stewardship so that we can reflect on the way we  spend and
consume

>and work toward slowing down global warming.

“A man reaps what he sows” is an adage we’ve seen  played out throughout
history.

The great flood during the time of Noah is an example. The Bible  records that

humanity’s evil acts and thoughts precipitated the flood. We  could say every
natural

disaster we’ve witnessed recently have precipitated upon us  for the same
reasons.

The Apostle Paul writes that Christians are justified by faith  – they’re
reconciled to

God because of faith in Christ. The term “justification”  means “exculpation”
or “act of

justifying”. In the same token, if we want our actions to be  proven righteous
and

justified by God on the subject of “environmental  stewardship”, then, we
better do our

>best in these make-up exams.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)