From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UCC - Debut of StillSpeaking Magazine stirs souls, pleases eyes

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:36:59 -0700

Debut of StillSpeaking Magazine stirs souls, pleases eyes

Written by Jeff Woodard
April 27, 2010

Citing a highly polished, eye-catching quality that complements a diverse
collection of inspiring stories, readers of the debut edition of the UCC's
StillSpeaking Magazine are already anticipating the fall  edition.

"StillSpeaking Magazine doesn't just tell the story of the United Church of Christ ? it paints
a picture for us," says Vicki McGaw, a former UCC Wider Church Ministries staff member.
"The story of Bob Page's incredible generosity with his employees, his children and his
community offers a mural of what stewardship looks like in the realm of God."

The Rev. John Humbert, former general minister and president of the Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ), agreed. "I read with great interest about Mr. Page and how
the church met his bigger faith needs and put him in a position that he wanted to give
back to the church."

The interview with the Rev. Felix Carrion, Stillspeaking coordinator ? detailing his UCC
connection that broadened his worldview so that he could pastor his parents through his
brother's coming out as a gay man ? also moved McGaw. "I can literally feel God's
arm reaching out to embrace all of God's children."

The Rev. David Greenhaw, president of Eden Theological Seminary in St. Louis, calls the
magazine's debut "a great initial effort."

"It reflects a desire for diversity, and it doesn't pull punches on the social agenda,"
says Greenhaw. "It'll be a lightning rod because of that, and that's good. I think it's a
great initial effort."

Adding pizazz to the buzz are the consistent kudos the magazine is receiving
for photography and layout.

"The cover shot really took me in," says Humbert, who served as deputy president of the
Disciples from 1977-85 and general minister and president from 1985-91. He was also on the UCC's
restructure committee from 1991-1995. Referring to the photo of the Rev. Karen Georgia Thompson,
minister for racial justice in Justice and Witness Ministries, "It made me want to look within
and read to see what is happening."

Greenhaw also praised the text-to-photo ratio and the effectiveness of the ads. "The ads work
because they tell the story about the programs." Adds McGaw, "I often found myself
reading the ads as though they were part of the articles."

"Its layout and photography pulled me in like

'Look' and 'Life' magazines did in my childhood," says McGaw, director of wellspring, a
new Cleveland-based group exploring spiritual renewal and justice advocacy. "The tight
shots of people's faces create strong human connections ? something often missing in the
impersonality and perfection of airbrushing."

Humbert said that when he served with the Disciples, he stressed that local churches and
the national church both have a sense of ownership ? and of unity. "We have to
remember that it's not 'others' out there, it's 'us' out there. I think a publication
like this helps a lot."

Kiely Todd Roska, a newcomer to the JWM board, says her excitement in anticipating
StillSpeaking Magazine has been well warranted. "It's so well-formatted ... you WANT
to read it," says Roska, a 1999 graduate of United Theological Seminary of the Twin
Cities.

"The diversity of people in the UCC came through. It's definitely more on the
progressive end of things. There were several stories lifting up the LGBT folks and
racial diversity," says Roska, development coordinator at CUE Seminaries in
Minneapolis. A non-profit, collaborative body, CUE provides regional seminary support to
bring together more than 2,000 UCC churches to support Chicago, United and Eden
seminaries.

Roska got her first peek at the magazine April 17 while in a bus in the parking
lot of Federated UCC in Chagrin Falls, Ohio. She and a busload of others had
just attended the installation of the Rev. Geoffrey A. Black as UCC general
minister and president. Copies of the magazine were distributed to attendees as
they exited the sanctuary.

"Our bus had to leave for the airport before the program was over," says Roska. "We
all packed onto the bus, and someone said, 'Did anyone get a magazine?' In our hurry, none of us
had, so someone ran back inside, grabbed a couple armfuls and ran back to the bus. We cheered
wildly."

Even the red "God is Still Speaking" wrapping paper that the magazine was presented in was a
winner. "People saved the wrapping paper because they wanted to re-use it," says Roska. "They
really liked it."

Bulk copies and subscriptions to the inaugural edition of StillSpeaking
Magazine are available at ucc.org/magazine or by calling 800-537-3394.