From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Calvin Seminary President Approved

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2010 20:53:07 -0700

Calvin Seminary President Approved

The Calvin Theological Seminary (CTS) Board of Trustees has unanimously
approved Rev. Julius Medenblik to be the eighth president of the 134-year-old
seminary.

He is slated to succeed current president Cornelius Plantinga Jr. who leaves
office at the conclusion of the 2010-2011 school year. The nomination is
subject to interview by the CRC Board of Trustees and final appointment by the
Christian Reformed Church Synod in June of this year.

Medenblik is Senior Pastor of New Life Christian Reformed Church in New Lenox,
Ill., which he helped found. Under his leadership, the church has grown from
four members to more than 700. He is also involved in leading church planting
efforts of the denomination and was recently chair of the CTS Board of Trustees.

He holds a BA degree from Trinity Christian College, a juris doctor with honors
from the University of Florida Law School and a Master of Divinity from Calvin
Theological Seminary. He was nominated for the post by an 11-member search
committee.
Search committee chair, the Reverend Kevin Adams said, "We are unanimous in our
support for Jul, because we feel he possesses in abundance the gifts needed to promote
the Seminary?s unique mission in a variety of contexts. He brings a desire to know
students, listen to faculty and staff, and cultivate partners outside the Seminary in
order to serve the church."

"I am humbled and energized by this opportunity," said Medenblik. "Calvin
Theological Seminary is deeply rooted in and nurtured by the church. We have a great opportunity to
use those roots to nourish preachers and church leaders for the ministries and new opportunities
that await us in the mission field around each and every one of us."

In an interview, he added: "I have been blessed to serve God and His Church in an
abundance of settings and positions ? I am energized to join the Seminary community in
connecting theological excellence with pastoral sensitivity and insights as we serve
together in the mission that God has before us."

Current CTS President Plantinga noted, "The Seminary has made a fresh and bold
choice of its next president. Julius Medenblik is an ecclesiastical entrepreneur ? a
Christian leader of proven accomplishment in the church and, as chair of Calvin
Seminary's trustees, already a leader of the Seminary. As a trustee, he helped to shape
the Seminary's new calendar and curriculum, so I'm confident he will steer our ship in
the same direction he helped set for it. I look forward to working closely with Julius
during the transition from one president to the next, and I will do so with joy."

--

Chris Meehan
News & Media Director