From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CRWRC Responds to Spring Storms across the U.S.

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:06:27 -0700

IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Bill Adams, CRWRC-DRS Director, cell 616-560-2782

Beth DeGraff, CRWRC Media Contact, cell 616-648-7821 or 1-800-55-CRWRC

CRWRC Responds to Spring Storms across the U.S.

April 29, 2010?As 2010 spring storm season heats up in North America, the
Christian Reformed World Relief Committee (CRWRC) is responding to the severe
weather that recently devastated parts of the eastern and southern  U.S.

Two weeks of rain that deluged coastal areas from Maine to Connecticut in March
and April resulted in federal disaster declarations in the worst-hit counties.
Responding to urgent appeals from government personnel for volunteers to help
work through a backlog of requests for help from local residents, a CRWRC
Disaster Response Services
(DRS) Rapid Response Team arrived in Providence, Rhode Island, on Tuesday,
April 27.

The team, staying at local churches, is addressing requests for assistance and
prioritizing local residents who are most vulnerable to or affected by the
flooding. Rapid Response volunteer Terry Reimink reported to CRWRC-DRS staff
yesterday that the group had
?already completed a number of repairs for clients in tough circumstances.?
Reimink also said that hundreds of homes and businesses were affected and
residents are continuing to ask for help.

Surveying the rising water on a recent visit to the disaster area, Janet
Napolitano, Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, said that
flooding from the Pawtuxet River in hard-hit Rhode Island was ??not the type of
event that people recover from in a day or two. We are going to have to dig in
our heels, work our way out, and really bring Rhode Island back...?

Likewise, in the Southern U.S., a tornado nearly two miles wide ripped a swath
of destruction across 100 miles of Mississippi and surrounding states, killing
10 people and devastating Yazoo City and surrounding areas. CRWRC-DRS regional
managers Fred and Mary Visser are in contact with state disaster response
personnel and voluntary organizations (VOADs) to help coordinate emergency
efforts there.

CRWRC-DRS director Bill Adams said yesterday that in Mississippi, ?CRWRC is
working with VOAD and government partners to develop response and recovery
plans in severely affected communities. Our hearts go out to those who are
picking up the pieces of their lives. We are thankful that we can bring hope
and help in these difficult days.?

CRWRC seeks funding to respond to these and other disasters in the coming
months. To help disaster survivors recover from flooding and tornadoes in Rhode
Island and Mississippi, give online to www.crwrc.org, by phone to
1-800-55-CRWRC, or by check to CRWRC, designated, ?Spring Storms 2010,? and
mailed to CRWRC, 2850 Kalamazoo Avenue SE, Grand Rapids, MI    49560-0600.

Members of the Press wishing to arrange interview with CRWRC-DRS director Bill
Adams, call cell 616-560-2782, or call Beth DeGraff, Media Contact at cell
616-648-7821.

For more information about CRWRC-DRS or to volunteer, go to www.crwrc.org.

CRWRC is a non-profit agency of the Christian Reformed Church in North  America

ministering to people in need around the world with relief, development, and
justice.

-         30 -

-- Beth DeGraff
CRWRC Media and Justice Contact
2850 Kalamazoo Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49560-0600
1-800-55-CRWRC
www.crwrc.org

Note that my email address has changed to bdegraff@crwrc.org.

CRWRC is a registered non-profit agency of the CRC-NA in both the U.S. and
Canada.