From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Sinlau Hospital promotes Taiwanese at 145th anniversary celebration

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 1 Jun 2010 15:46:10 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3039 Edition

>May 24~30, 2010

Sinlau Hospital promotes Taiwanese at 145th anniversary  celebration

>Reported by Chen Yi-hsuan

>Written by Lydia Ma

Sinlau Hospital, a PCT-affiliated organization, held a “Bible  Story-telling
Contest in

Taiwanese” on May 22 as part of a series of events  celebrating its 145th

anniversary. Both Tainan and Matou branches of the hospital  selected staff

members known for their creativity and Taiwanese adequacy to  participate in
this

>contest.

The contest was entertaining and featured impressive costume  designs, props,

and original performances. From the beginning to the end, loud  cheers, applause

and laughter filled the venue. 14 people participated in the  contest and some
even

>included their children in their performance.

The winner of the competition was Ms. Lei Shu-jen, an accounting  manager in the

hospital’s Tainan branch. She used the parable of the Good  Samaritan to deliver

an impressive performance that garnered high marks from judges.

Lei managed to play various characters during her performance. Not  only did she

narrate the story of the Good Samaritan, she also sang during  parts of her

performance. She also changed costumes halfway through her  performance and

used a mannequin to play the role of the wounded Jewish traveler  saved by the

>Samaritan.

Sinlau Hospital Vice-Superintendent Tsai Chiang-chin said in his  opening
remarks

that many people in Taiwan consider Taiwanese vulgar or  distasteful and such

impressions have been further marred by the KMT government’s  ban on using

Taiwanese during previous decades. These biases have led many  people to

>neglect Taiwanese language and culture.

But Tsai pointed out that Taiwanese is actually an elegant  language with many

beautiful sayings. The problem is that many people don’t use  it often enough
in their

daily life and therefore don’t know how to speak it. He hopes  that holding fun

contests such as this one more often will help people discover the  beauty of

>Taiwanese.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)