From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Editorial: Sense of shame

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Wed, 2 Jun 2010 11:09:18 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3039 Edition

>May 24~30, 2010

>Editorial: Sense of shame

>Translated by Lydia Ma

“The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and  contrite heart, O
God, you will not

>despise,” (Psalm 51:17).

During a recent lecture in Taiwan, renowned political science  professor and
writer Benedict

Anderson remarked: “If you feel no shame for your country,  you cannot be a
nationalist.”

Anderson explained that genuine love for a country gives birth to  a sense of
shame for that

country, but this sentiment doesn’t prompt a person to reject  his country.
Instead, it forces him

to realize his country has much room for improvement. As a  citizen, a person
partakes in a

country’s glory and shame and that’s what drives him to  call for reforms and
improvements.

In contrast, a person who never ceases to revel in his  country’s past
achievements and glory,

whose national pride is easily hurt by other people’s  criticisms, or who
considers any and

every criticism about his country as a plot to conquer and divide  his people
is the worst kind of

nationalist. He is also the kind of person who will fall for lies  uttered by
careerists to advance their own agendas.

Our neighboring country, China, is currently hosting Expo 2010 and  this
international event will

undoubtedly allow visitors to get a glimpse of its power and  booming economy.

In the midst of the hype, Beijing seems to have forgotten how it  had condemned
and sought to

sweep out Chinese culture and history merely a few decades ago.  Ironically,
Beijing has

recently begun to embrace China’s rich heritage and history  as its inheritance
and has even

begun to tout Chinese history in film and television. Past  emperors who were
once reviled as

violent and cruel despots are now lauded as model citizens and  heroic leaders.

As the spotlight shone on Shanghai and Expo 2010, a killing  rampage took place
in a

kindergarten in another part of China, injuring 32 people. Days  later, a
similar incident

happened again and claimed the lives of 7 young children. In the  span of 2
months, 6

kindergartens across China reported stabbings that exceeded 20  fatalities in
total.

Chinese

authorities put a lid on these incidents and brushed them aside,  prompting a
blogger to

comment satirically, “Kids, you’ve rained on your old  man’s parade!” The
blogger was no

doubt alluding that these incidents had unmasked Beijing’s  show of harmony and
peace in China.

Many people in China live in fear and insecurity because the  Chinese
government doesn’t

care about serious injustices happening throughout the country and  would
rather cover them

>up or gloss over them.

Sadly, Taiwanese officials and bureaucrats in capitalist countries  don’t fare
much better. A

while back, some employees who were laid-off illegally by their  company
appealed to

Taiwan’s Council of Labor Affairs, but never heard back from  the government.
When they

sought the help of their company’s partner firm, they were  similarly brushed
off.

There have been a string of suicides recently among employees at  Foxconn
Electronics’ plant

in China. As we await further details of what happened, the  general assumption
is that

management at Foxconn failed in their capacity as managers and  employees had
been

>subjected to unacceptable working conditions.

Incidents like these not only cast a dark shadow over a  company’s reputation
and create

tension with members of the community, they further cement biases  Chinese
people may

>already have about Taiwanese businessmen.

Strong-willed and powerful people sometimes have difficulty seeing  their
mistakes and

shortcomings, but if their fellow Taiwanese would have a sense of  shame and
call these

people’s actions to account, there might still be a glimmer  of hope.

An example of such an instance is recorded in the Bible when the  prophet
Nathan confronted

King David after the latter murdered Uriah the Hittite and  committed adultery
with Uriah’s wife,

Bathsheba. David’s response to Nathan’s rebuke was one  filled with shame and
sincere repentance.

In the end, David’s repentance saved him and spared his  people from disaster
during his

reign. David’s story teaches us that we mustn’t turn a  blind eye to sins and
injustices

committed by powerful people and people of authority. Though very  few of them
may come to

repentance as David did, we must still give them a chance to be  saved and
redeemed.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)