From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

US Church Officials Defend CWS Against Charges of Proselytizing

From George Conklin <gconklin@igc.org>
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2010 15:30:51 -0700

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

US Church Officials Defend CWS Against Charges of Proselytizing

NEW YORK, June 4, 2010 - U.S. church officials with long ties to Church World Service have defended the humanitarian agency against charges of religious proselytizing in Afghanistan.

"When I saw and read the allegations I was dumbfounded," said Stanley Noffsinger, general secretary of the Church of the Brethren General Board, Elgin, Ill. "For more than sixty years, Church World Service has grounded its role in serving people regardless of faith tradition."

"Church World Service is held in the highest regard and is seen as honoring those whom it serves," he said. "I believe CWS functions with the highest of integrity."

Susan Sanders, the head of Global Sharing of Resources of the Cleveland-based United Church of Christ, noted that CWS has signed the NGO code of conduct by the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, which specifically prohibits proselytizing in disaster relief.

She also noted that in Afghanistan and Pakistan, Church World Service (www.churchworldservice.org) is a member of the Humanitarian Accountability Partnership International, known as HAP, a self-regulatory partnership of NGOs, and adheres to the humanitarian standards for quality and accountability established by the Sphere Project.

"We know that's so important," Sanders said of the commitment to impartial humanitarian aid. "CWS is committed to accompanying partners all around the world whatever their faith tradition may be or not be."

Earlier this week, CWS announced that its long-time work in Afghanistan - dating back more than 30 years -- had been temporarily suspended by the Afghan Ministry of Economy, pending investigation of allegations related to an Afghan television news story claiming that CWS and another humanitarian agency, Norwegian Church Aid, had engaged in religious proselytizing.

CWS has formally denied the allegations and expects the suspension to last only briefly.

Noffsinger, whose experience with CWS dates back to the 1970s and who once served as a CWS staffer, said the agency has always been committed to "accompanying people on their path so that life can be better for them; CWS has always heralded this position throughout our history."

Sanders agreed, adding that the agency's commitment to accompaniment is based on a belief that "people can grow into their full humanity."

Sanders said she believes CWS acts out of a faith commitment of service "that is simply based on need. It does not specify whom we serve."

CWS is an international humanitarian agency established in 1946 to assist displaced persons after World War II in Europe and Asia with food assistance and relief activities.

Media Contacts

Lesley Crosson, (212) 870-2676, media@churchworldservice.org
Jan Dragin - 24/7 - (781) 925-1526, jdragin@gis.net

Church World Service