From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS Secretary General lays out next steps following the Archbishop of Canterbury?s Pentecost letter

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2010 09:32:43 -0700

Secretary General lays out next steps following the Archbishop of Canterbury?s
Pentecost letter

Posted On : June 7, 2010 4:24 PM | Posted By : Webmaster
ACNS: http://www.aco.org/acns/news.cfm/2010/6/7/ACNS4707
Related Categories: ACO

Most of you will have read the recent letter of the Archbishop of Canterbury to
the Anglican Communion on the subject of Pentecost.  Part of that letter
addresses the current and ongoing tensions in the Anglican Communion ? these
tensions cluster around the three moratoria referred to in the Windsor  Report.

It was hoped to have held the gracious restraint requested on many occasions by
the Instruments of Communion until the Covenant had been considered in-depth by
all of the provinces.  The Covenant outlines a process whereby major issues
before the Communion which affect its common life can be considered properly
and appropriately within the community of faith.  However, the recent Episcopal
election in Los Angeles has created a situation where the Archbishop has been
forced to act before the Covenant has been considered by most provinces.

So the Archbishop of Canterbury has made the following proposals in his
Pentecost Letter which  spell out the consequences of this action:

?I am therefore proposing that, while these tensions remain unresolved, members
of such provinces ? provinces that have formally, through their Synod or House
of Bishops, adopted policies that breach any of the moratoria requested by the
Instruments of Communion and recently reaffirmed by the Standing Committee and
the Inter-Anglican Standing Commission on Unity, Faith and Order
(IASCUFO) ? should not be participants in the ecumenical dialogues in which the
Communion is formally engaged. I am further proposing that members of such
provinces serving on IASCUFO should for the time being have the status only of
consultants rather than full members?.

Last Thursday I sent letters to members of the Inter Anglican ecumenical
dialogues who are from the Episcopal Church informing them that their
membership of these dialogues has been discontinued.  In doing so I want to
emphasise again as I did in those letters the exceptional service of each and
every person to that important work and to acknowledge without exception the
enormous contribution each person has made.

I have also written to the person from the Episcopal Church who is a member of
the Inter Anglican Standing Commission on Unity Faith and Order (IASCUFO),
withdrawing that person?s membership and inviting her to serve as a Consultant
to that body.

I have written to the Primate of the Anglican Church of Canada to ask whether
its General Synod or House of Bishops has formally adopted policies that breach
the second moratorium in the Windsor Report, authorising public rites of
same-sex blessing.

At the same time I have written to the Primate of the Southern Cone, whose
interventions in other provinces are referred to in the Windsor Continuation
Group Report asking him for clarification as to the current state of his
interventions into other provinces.

These are the actions which flow immediately from the Archbishop?s Pentecost
Letter.

Looking forward, there are two questions in this area which I would like to see
addressed:  One is the relationship between the actions of a bishop or of a
diocese and the responsibilities of a province for those actions ? this issue
is referred to in the Windsor Continuation Group Report para 48.

Secondly, to ask the question of whether maintaining within the fellowship of
one?s Provincial House of Bishops, a bishop who is exercising episcopal
ministry in another province without the expressed permission of that province
or the local bishop, constitutes an intervention  and is therefore a breach of
the third moratorium.

The Revd Canon Kenneth Kearon.