From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Central and south presbyteries play cupid again

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:14:28 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3040 Edition

>May 31~June 6, 2010

Central and south presbyteries play cupid again

>Reported by Sam Lee and Yang Hui-ju

>Written by Lydia Ma

As the trend of late marriages and perpetual singleness increases  among young
adults in

churches, Ling Chien-hui, a professional counselor and member of  Tung-Jung
Presbyterian

Church, suggests that Christian men and women ought to initiate  more and
actively participate

>in dating events organized by their churches.

Ling would like to see local presbyteries become channels for  young adults to
meet new

people and prospective dates. But she also advised participants  that if they
should meet

someone they like, they shouldn’t shy away from making that  first phone call.
“Don’t be afraid

of rejection and be bold when asking people out. Happiness is not  far away
after you take that

>first step,” she said.

PCT Shou-Shan, Kaohsiung, and Tainan presbyteries co-hosted a  seminar called
“A Lesson

on Romance” on May 30 that included a matchmaking event. The  seminar attracted
50 single

men and 50 single women. Through a romantic and relaxing afternoon  tea,
participants got to

>know one another through fun games.

Having counseled so many people throughout her career, Ling was  invited to
this event to

share her insights. “It broke my heart to see so many  talented, single young
men and women

who are really lonely and brokenhearted inside,” she said  afterward. She
encouraged single

men and women to be unafraid of taking initiative.

Ling noted that most participants were about 30 years old and  possessed
impressive

qualities. But age and personal achievements can also create  pressure on these
single adults

when they try their hand in dating. She explained that these young  people may
admire

someone, but are generally too afraid to ask the person out on a  date for fear
of rejection. The

>tragic result is perpetual singleness.

During her presentation, Ling referred to several stories in the  Bible that
spoke about finding a

mate, such as stories of Isaac and Rebekah, Boaz and Ruth, etc.,  and
encouraged young

adults to be more proactive after meeting someone they admire.

Ling lamented that single, young adults within churches are often  bound by all
sorts of

pressures and hindrances. They often make their situations worse  by passively
waiting for

“God’s provision” when opportunities might be just  one step or call away.

According to reports, similar events co-sponsored by these three  southern
presbyteries in the

past have produced good results. One couple met each other two  years ago
through a similar

seminar and wound up getting married last year.

In related news, Taichung Presbytery Youth Department organized an  event for
Christian,

single young adults to help them meet new friends and possible  mates. The
event “You’re

Altogether Beautiful” attracted 30 participants.

Taichung Presbytery has played cupid more than 5 times in recent  years by
organizing fun,

matchmaking events similar to this one for young adults. Last  year’s event led
to the eventual

>engagement of a couple.

According to a presbytery staff, there are many talented young  adults in
churches, but most of

them have devoted their lives to their work or to serving in  church
ministries. Because of such

busy schedules, these young adults rarely meet other Christians  from the
opposite sex. That’s

why the presbytery’s youth department included  “courtship” as part of its
ministry this year by

organizing two matchmaking events, one on May 29th and another  scheduled on
September

>18th.

This event held at Shalu Presbyterian Church included sharing  perspectives on
God’s design

for marriages, trusting in God’s provision, and developing  proper perspectives
and attitudes

>when dating.

After a morning session devoted to learning concepts and sharing  ideas, an
afternoon

session devoted to group games encouraged participants to mingle  with one
another. Staff

members created an interesting game similar to Facebook’s  Happy Farm that
involved a high

level of cooperation and interaction among players.

This event didn’t ask participants to write down and submit  names of people
they would like to

know further and possibly date. The presbytery hoped that both men  and women
participants

would have courage to initiate relationships on their own.

According to reports, church matchmaking events for singles  usually don’t
attract enough male

participants. For example, registration for one Christian singles  event
scheduled on June 12-

>13 still has 10 available spots for men.

This event sponsored by Shui-Nan Holiness Church in Taichung has  produced 24
successful

matches since its inception in 1997. It provides a safe and open  environment
where young

adults can learn to interact with one another, openly express  their
admiration, and learn about

>God’s purpose for creating marriages.

Youth interested in signing up for this event are encouraged to  register by
visiting www.love-flag.idv.tw

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)