From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Single pastor turned unlikely babysitter gets thumbs-up

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:39:18 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3040 Edition

>May 31~June 6, 2010

Single pastor turned unlikely babysitter gets thumbs-up

>Reported by Chen Wei-chien

>Written by Lydia Ma

Would you be surprised if you saw your church’s single and  unwed woman pastor
carry an

infant with her during house visitation rounds? That’s  exactly what one young
pastor is doing

>after receiving an unlikely phone call.

Rev. Huang Yu-ching received a call for help from a local police  station
recently, asking her if

she could take care of a 6-month-old male infant for ten months  because the
baby’s parents

>were in jail.

Not long after she answered this call for help and took the baby  home,
assistance poured in

from everywhere. Apparently, when local media reported on Rev.  Huang’s
kindness, people

began donating items such as baby food and formula, diapers, baby  beds, and
baby walkers.

According to reports, a 34-year-old woman surnamed Feng was  arrested by Wufeng
district

police a while ago and was recently arrested again and sentenced  to 10 months
in jail. Feng’s

husband is also behind bars on drug charges and her father-in-law  can barely
support himself

>financially, let alone care for an infant.

When Feng was arrested once again, she asked Wufeng district  police chief, Lin
Ching-po, to

contact any social service organization in Taichung area for help  in caring
for her baby. In the

end, Lin contacted Jen-Hua Presbyterian Church in Taichung County  and asked
for Rev.

Huang, who agreed to take care of the infant free of charge.

Rev. Huang said many of her colleagues advised and reminded her  that taking
care of an

infant would involve many responsibilities. She would face many  challenges as
she was a

single woman in her thirties and a full-time minister.

But at the time, the question that kept surfacing in Huang’s  mind was, “if I
don’t receive this

infant, then, what good will my preaching do?”

Since she took the baby home, Huang has been taking him along with  her on
house visitation

rounds. As members of her church got to know him, they became fond  of him and
even

volunteered to cook porridge to feed him at times.

Now, when Huang needs to lead prayer meetings, some women in her  church will
volunteer to

care for the infant. Church members are also volunteering to care  for the baby
during

weekends when Huang is busiest with church ministries.

After hearing about her new “ministry”, Taichung  Presbytery Church and Society
Committee

contacted Rev. Huang to lend her support. It also suggested the  baby’s mother
be referred to

Prison Fellowship’s Halfway House division to learn some  vocational skills and
receive

assistance when she reenters society later on.

Rev. Huang reported that the baby’s mother had heard the  gospel and was later
baptized

while in prison. She urged Christians to pray for both mother and  child.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)