From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Virginia diocese, Episcopal Church prevail with state Supreme Court / Video: Presiding bishop,

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:12:16 -0400

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Virginia diocese, Episcopal Church prevail with state
Supreme Court
* TOP STORY - 'Witnessing to Christ Today': Presiding bishop, Southern
Africa primate address USPG conference
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - CONNECTICUT: Hartford church commemorates its
150th year with plan to open a school
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - LOS ANGELES: California Supreme Court to hear
Newport Beach breakaway group's appeal
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - VIRGINIA: New chapel honors Bishop Lee
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - WYOMING: Bishop-elect John Sheridan Smylie
completes successful consent process
* WORLD REPORT - CANADA: General Synod action establishes
self-determining national indigenous ministry
* MISSION - NetsforLife® presented with the Global Business Coalition
Excellence in Business Action Award
* PEOPLE - General Seminary trustees appoint Lang Lowrey as interim  president
* OPINION - 'Lost' horizons on TV and in life
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Presiding bishop addresses USPG on 'Witnessing
to Christ Today'
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Archbishop of Cape Town Thabo Makgoba addresses
USPG conference
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: USPG panel tackles issues of mission, Anglican
identity, human sexuality, environment
* DAYBOOK - June 11: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EBAR PICK - "Half the Sky - Turning Oppression into Opportunity for
Women Worldwide"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Virginia diocese, Episcopal Church prevail with state Supreme Court

Court reverses lower court's property case judgment

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] The Supreme Court of Virginia on June 10
ruled in favor of the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia and the Episcopal
Church in a church property dispute.

A lower court had ruled that the nine breakaway congregations involved
in the cases were entitled to retain all the parishes' real and
personal property when they left the Episcopal Church and joined
another denomination.

The Supreme Court held that although disagreements had caused "a
division" within the Episcopal Church and the Diocese of Virginia, the
breakaway congregations had affiliated with a church that was not a
branch of either the Episcopal Church or the diocese. Such an
affiliation is required, the court said, for Virginia's one-of-a-kind
"Division Statute" (Section 57-9(A)) to apply.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_122818_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

'Witnessing to Christ Today': Presiding bishop, Southern Africa
primate address USPG conference

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service, Swanwick, England] "Show up, pay attention,
tell the truth and leave the results to God." This was the charge that
Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori delivered June 9 to some
200 participants attending the USPG-Anglicans in World Mission
conference, noting that the Franciscan summary is an excellent model
for the mission work to which the church is called.

"We have to show up everywhere with an attitude of radical openness,"
Jefferts Schori said. "Mission means healing and restoring all
creation toward the common weal of God ... living in justice with
dignity, and all people and creation living together in peace."

Jefferts Schori and Archbishop of Cape Town Thabo Makgoba were keynote
speakers at the USPG (United Society for the Propagation of the
Gospel) annual conference in Swanwick, England, addressing the theme,
"Witnessing to Christ Today."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_122828_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

CONNECTICUT: Hartford church commemorates its 150th year with plan to
open a school

>By Karin Hamilton

[Diocese of Connecticut] Trinity Episcopal Church in Hartford,
Connecticut, concluded its 150th anniversary with a bold step forward:
a plan to open a tuition-free Episcopal day school to help close the
city's educational achievement gap.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_122829_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

LOS ANGELES: California Supreme Court to hear Newport Beach breakaway
group's appeal

Justices agree to limited review of appellate ruling

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] The California Supreme Court agreed June 9 to
hear an appeal in the six-year property dispute between a Newport
Beach church that broke away from the Diocese of Los Angeles and the
Episcopal Church.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_122843_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>VIRGINIA: New chapel honors Bishop Lee

>By Emily Cherry

[Diocese of Virginia] Retired Bishop of Virginia Peter Lee's vision
for a chapel at Roslyn Conference & Retreat Center in Richmond,
Virginia, was officially realized on June 1.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_122832_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

WYOMING: Bishop-elect John Sheridan Smylie completes successful consent  process

>Consecration slated for July 31

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori
has notified the Diocese of Wyoming that Bishop-elect John Sheridan
Smylie has received the required number of consents from bishops with
jurisdiction and diocesan standing committees to his ordination and
consecration.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_122842_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

CANADA: General Synod action establishes self-determining national
indigenous ministry

>By Marites N. Sison

[Anglican Journal] In what was described as a "historic moment," the
General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada on June 9 approved the
introduction of a new canon (church law) that firmly establishes a
self-determining national indigenous ministry within the church.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_122827_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

NetsforLife® presented with the Global Business Coalition Excellence
in Business Action Award

[Episcopal Relief & Development] NetsforLife®, Episcopal Relief &
Development's program partnership to fight malaria, has received the
Global Business Coalition Excellence in Business Action Award for
outstanding Partnership and Collective Action.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_122821_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

General Seminary trustees appoint Lang Lowrey as interim president

[General Theological Seminary - New York City] In accordance with an
action plan made at their meeting last month, the board of trustees of
the General Theological Seminary on June 9 unanimously approved the
appointment of the Rev. Lang Lowrey III, 56, as the seminary's interim
president, according to a news release from the school.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_122824_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MULTIMEDIA

Video: Presiding bishop addresses USPG on 'Witnessing to Christ Today'

[Episcopal News Service] Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori
delivers a keynote address June 9 on the theme "Witnessing to Christ
Today," during the annual meeting of USPG-Anglicans in World Mission
in Swanwick, England.

Video:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm#ooid=h5bG1nMTq5n_qy1Rr
RpHvgpdNAPrTN54

>- - - - -

Video: Archbishop of Cape Town Thabo Makgoba addresses USPG conference

[Episcopal News Service] Archbishop of Cape Town Thabo Makgoba
delivers a keynote address June 10 as part of the USPG-Anglicans in
World Mission annual conference. Makgoba speaks on the theme "Mission
Realities for Southern African Anglicans -- and their wider
implications.

Video:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm#ooid=B3dHBnMToRIamnjPB
W8HwUtCrt8YSApI

>- - - - -

Video: USPG panel tackles issues concerning mission, Anglican
identity, human sexuality, environment

[Episcopal News Service] Archbishop of Cape Town Thabo Makgoba and
Episcopal Church Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori join the
Rev. Mark Oxbrow, international director of the Faith2Share network,
for a panel discussion June 9 that focuses on issues of local and
global mission, Anglican identity, human sexuality and environmental
concerns. The discussion was held during the USPG-Anglicans in World
Mission annual conference in Swanwick, England.

Video:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm#ooid=Bwc3BnMTp6YCSpCls
xbGM7yAay6AEwP9

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>'Lost' horizons on TV and in life

>By Paul V. Marshall

[Diocese of Bethlehem] From the old joke department, I told a
colleague that I had a new heart medicine (I do), and that I was
having some trouble following its directions. The first was easy: Do
not drink alcohol while taking this medication. The second was harder:
Keep away from children.

I was hoping for a quick chuckle, which I got. My colleague was more
playful -- and thoughtful -- than I. He added, "It's an odd sort of
medicine that thinks keeping away from children is good for your
heart." Touché.

Children bring us so many gifts. Everybody has their favorite. Mine is
that children bring out my imagination and sense of play. When I visit
with children during a Sunday service, it's the time in the week I
feel most free, most safe. It's good for my heart.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_122823_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On June 11, 2010, the church remembers St. Barnabas.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On June 11, 1888, Maxwell J. Blacker, Anglican
priest and hymn translator, died in Westminster, England.

>_____________________

>EBAR PICK

"Half the Sky - Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women
Worldwide" by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, hardcover, 320
pages, c. 2009, $27.95.

[Random House] From two of our most fiercely moral voices, a
passionate call to arms against our era's most pervasive human rights
violation: the oppression of women and girls in the developing world.

With Pulitzer Prize winners Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn as
our guides, we undertake an odyssey through Africa and Asia to meet
the extraordinary women struggling there, among them a Cambodian
teenager sold into sex slavery and an Ethiopian woman who suffered
devastating injuries in childbirth. Drawing on the breadth of their
combined reporting experience, Kristof and WuDunn depict our world
with anger, sadness, clarity, and, ultimately, hope.

Through these stories, Kristof and WuDunn help us see that the key to
economic progress lies in unleashing women's potential. They make
clear how so many people have helped to do just that, and how we can
each do our part. Throughout much of the world, the greatest
unexploited economic resource is the female half of the population.
Unleashing that process globally is not only the right thing to do;
it's also the best strategy for fighting poverty.

Deeply felt, pragmatic, and inspirational, Half the Sky is essential
reading for every global citizen.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.