From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

TTCS remembers Rev. Shoki Coe through documentary

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:29:02 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3041 Edition

>June 7~June 13, 2010

TTCS remembers Rev. Shoki Coe through documentary

>Reported by Sam Lee

>Written by Lydia Ma

A documentary film on Rev. Shoki Coe, the first president of  Tainan
Theological College and

Seminary (TTCS), was aired on June 2 at TTCS during the  school’s regular
chapel. The film

“Is Time Still on Our Side?” produced by Light & Salt  Mass Media Foundation
highlighted the

years Rev. Shoki Coe spent serving at TTCS and the challenges he  faced.

Rev. Shoki Coe was a graduate of Tokyo Imperial University and  Cambridge
University and

was one of the key members of the 20th century ecumenical  movement. He
introduced the

term "contextualization" as a new approach to understanding the  problematic
relationship of

>faith and culture.

When Rev. Coe returned to Taiwan in 1947 at the age of 35 after  completing his
studies at

Cambridge University, he was chosen to become president of TTCS.  Before Rev.
Coe’s

arrival, the school had been closed for 8 years because of the  Pacific War.
During his 16-year

tenure at TTCS, he transformed this struggling institution on the  verge of
closing down into one

of the most prestigious schools in Southeast Asia.

Rev. Coe also played an important role in the PCT Church Doubling  Movement,
the founding

of World Council of Churches, and various declarations issued by  PCT, such as
“Statement

on our National Fate”. His works led him to be blacklisted by  the KMT
government during

>martial law.

This documentary on Rev. Coe was first viewed at Changhua  Christian Hospital
on August 20,

2009 before being shown at a few churches. On June 2, it was  finally shown at
the very place

where Rev. Coe spent most of his life ministering. It will next be  shown in
Pingtung on June 15.

In addition to this documentary, WCC will publish a book on Rev.  Shoki Coe
shortly. English

translation of this book will soon be available as well.

For more information on “Is Time Still on Our Side?” go  to
http://shokicoe.blogspot.com/

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)