From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UGC Young theologians learn from the school of life

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 23:12:31 +0200

Uniting General Council 2010 <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /

News Release

Young theologians learn from the school of life

By Kristine Greenaway - Editor-in-chief, UGC

They come from India, Kenya, Malawi and beyond. At first glance, their lives
and contexts are very different. But the 43 students in a unique theology
seminar in the United States are quickly learning that they share common
challenges.

â??I am concerned with how theology is used in my church to keep women in the role
of helpers,â?? says Sujanna Raj Seelam, a pastor with the Church of South India in
Chennai.

â??By hearing the stories of women from Kenya and Malawi where some churches will
not ordain women, I learn that they share the same concerns.â??

Seelam is participating in the Global Institute of Theology (GIT), sponsored by
the World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC). Students in the final years of
theological studies and recent graduates are engaged in an intensive programme
of study (4 ? 29 June) on issues such as interfaith dialogue and church
advocacy on social justice issues.

Thirty-three of the students come from the Global South; 10 are from Europe and
North America. Ten students accepted for the programme were refused visas by
American immigration officials.

The coordinator of the seminar, Douwe Visser, head of WARCâ??s Office for
Theology and Ecumenical Engagement, says the purpose of the programme is to equip
the next generation of Reformed church leaders to participate in global ecumenism.

Part of the richness of the experience is the opportunity for students to learn
from each other through sharing personal stories in worship and class
discussions. Some of the stories are deeply moving, says Visser, a Dutch
theologian.

â??A young Zimbabwean theology professor told us about faculty meetings where they
spend 15 minutes on business and the next two hours on matters of survival,â?? says
Visser.

Peter Wyatt, the GIT Dean, says his first experience with this type of programme is
â??just great.â??

â??The GIT faculty from the Netherlands, United States, Nigeria, Mexico and India are
first-rate,â?? says Wyatt. â??They are encouraging students to take responsibility for
their learning.â??

The GIT budget is covered by global mission agencies and churches in Europe and
the United States and by contributions from churches in the Global South who
helped defray the expenses of their students.

On 16 June, the students and faculty travel south from Chicago to Calvin
College in Grand Rapids to witness the merger of WARC with the Reformed
Ecumenical Council to form the World Communion of Reformed Churches at the
Uniting General Council. The course wraps up in Grand Rapids on 29 June.

â??I felt I was too close to my own churchâ??s tradition and thought cross-cultural engagement
would enrich my experience,â?? Seelam says. â??I am so grateful for this opportunity. Iâ??m
learning so much.â??

The Uniting General Council 2010 in Grand Rapids, United States (June 18-28)
marks the merger of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches and the Reformed
Ecumenical Council to form the World Communion of Reformed  Churches.

Contact: Kristine Greenaway
Executive Secretary, Communications
World Communion of Reformed Churches

UGC News Room ? Calvin College - Hoogenboom Center Room HC 204 (Arial 10)

Cell phone: 1-616-826-5540 or 1-616-826-8636
email: kgr@warc.ch

web: www.reformedchurches.org