From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Refugee advocates prepare for World Refugee Day

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2010 07:27:02 -0400

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Refugee advocates prepare for World Refugee Day
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - UTAH: Death penalty opponents set to pray and to
protest June 18 execution
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - WYOMING: 14 members of one family baptized together
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - NEBRASKA: Bicyclists raise funds for water, hope for  Sudan
* PEOPLE - Bishop Barbara Harris recovering from stroke
* OPINION - A view of the oil spill from Dauphin Island
* DAYBOOK - June 18: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EBAR PICK - "Transforming Leadership"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Refugee advocates prepare for World Refugee Day

>By Dan Trudeau

In her 43 years as a school teacher in Baghdad, Aylin Manook read a
lot about the United States to prepare lessons for her students. At
the time, she had no way of knowing the transformative role the
far-off land would play in her life.

Manook is a refugee, forced to flee Iraq amid the chaos of war.
Fourteen months ago, she came to the United States through the U.S.
Refugee Admissions Program. She has lived in Chicago ever since.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_123007_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

UTAH: Death penalty opponents set to pray and to protest June 18  execution

>Activists work to change law

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] Utah death penalty opponents-hoping for a
last-minute stay of execution for Ronnie Lee Gardner-are planning a
June 17 interfaith prayer vigil at St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral and
a protest rally at the state capitol on the eve of his execution.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_123012_ENG_HTM.htm

>_ _ _ _ _

WYOMING: 14 members of one family baptized together

By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] Betty Lou Anderson was overjoyed to hear
there'd be two baptisms in her family June 13 at Holy Trinity Church,
Gillette, in the Episcopal Diocese of Wyoming.

And then another one was planned. And then a few more, until the
number swelled to 14.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_123014_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

NEBRASKA: Bicyclists raise funds for water, hope for Sudan

>MDGs commitment: Where passion meets service

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] When Christopher Slane and a dozen other
bicyclists roll into Grand Island, Nebraska, June 18 they'll meet up
with parishioners from St. Stephen's Episcopal Church for a loop
around town and a Sudanese meal.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_123016_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Bishop Barbara Harris recovering from stroke   ENS staff  [Episcopal
News Service] Retired Massachusetts Bishop Suffragan Barbara C.
Harris, 80, remains in a Massachusetts rehabilitation center
recovering from a stroke, said Tracy Sukraw, director of
communications for the Diocese of Massachusetts.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_123009_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>A view of the oil spill from Dauphin Island

>By John Porter

[Episcopal News Service] As I sit here writing this piece from my home
on Dauphin Island, a barrier island off the coast Mobile, Alabama, in
the Gulf of Mexico, I can look across the salt marsh to the entrance
to Bayou Heron, where an oil containment boom stretches across the
entrance.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_123011_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On June 18, 2010, the church remembers Bernard Mizeki, Catechist and
Martyr in Rhodesia.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On June 18, 2006, Katharine Jefferts Schori was
elected 26th presiding bishop at the 75th General Convention.

>_____________________

>EBAR PICK

"Transforming Leadership" by Katherine Tyler Scott, Paperback, 144
pages, c. March 2010, $16.

[Church Publishing] At once "travel guide" and vision for the future,
the Transformation series is good news for the Episcopal Church at a
time of fast and furious demographic and social change. Series
contributors - recognized experts in their fields - analyze our
present plight, point to the seeds of change already at work
transforming the church, and outline a positive new way forward. What
kinds of churches are most ready for transformation? What are the
essential tools? What will give us strength, direction, and purpose to
the journey?

In Transforming Leadership Katherine Tyler Scott argues that the
theological recovery of baptism over the last half century has sent
shock waves through the Episcopal Church, overturning settled views of
ministry and precipitating new models and practices of leadership.
Questioning and renegotiating the authority, roles, responsibilities,
and relationships between lay and ordained leaders have become the
order of the day.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.