From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WCC Official Hopes For Joint Efforts with WCRC

From "Daphne Martin_Gnanadason" <Daphne.Martin_Gnanadason@warc.ch>
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2010 10:46:17 +0200

Uniting General Council 2010

>News Release

WCC Official Hopes For Joint Efforts with WCRC
By Chris Meehan, UGC News Editor
Olav Fykse Tveit, general secretary of the World Council of
Churches(WCC), had no intention of missing the recent merger of
the Reformed Ecumenical Council(REC)and the World Alliance of
Reformed Churches (WARC) into the World Communion of Reformed
Churches.
Tveit was in Grand Rapids wanting to participate as thehistoric
union occurred.
“We at WCC have already had a rather strong relationship with
WARC and REC,” said the church official from Norway. “I expect we
will have the same spirit of cooperation.”
Tveit, whose organisation represents 560 millionChristians, said
he expects WCC to continue to work closely with WCRC although
their individual churchespursuedifferent missions. The
organisations likely can work together in addressing issues of
concern, he said.
The merger represents a higher level of ecumenical cooperation
in the world, Tveit said, adding,“We now see a more visible unity
of Christ in the spirit of fellowship.”
Bolstered by the WCRC, ecumenism ismoving forward and is
increasingly showing “the strongest expression of this unity in
Christ” by bringing more people together around the table,he
said.
“Unfortunately, we don’t all yet share the Eucharist, but we do
live out of the same baptism.”
The Uniting General Council 2010 in Grand Rapids, United States
(June 18-28) marks the merger of the World Alliance of Reformed
Churches and the Reformed Ecumenical Council to form the World
Communion of Reformed Churches.

Contact: Kristine Greenaway

UGC News Room – Calvin College - Hoogenboom Center Room HC 204
Cell phone: 1-616-826-5540 or 1-616-826-8636: News Room:
1-616-526-7885

email: kgr@warc.ch
web: www.reformedchurches.org (
http://www.reformedchurches.org/#_blank )