From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Editorial: From Doubling Movement to “New” Doubling Movement

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:27:59 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3042 Edition

>June 14~June 20, 2010

Editorial: From Doubling Movement to “New” Doubling  Movement

>Translated by Lydia Ma

The Presbyterian Church in Taiwan (PCT) has long regarded 2015,  the year it’ll

mark its 150th anniversary, as an important historical milestone  and an
occasion

>that can be used to inspire further growth.

In preparation for this special year, PCT Evangelism Committee has  held

various discussions with many pastors to prepare for the launch of  “New

Doubling Movement”. Its goal is to increase PCT membership to  300,000 by

2015 and give this harvest of souls as a fragrant offering to God.

PCT has initiated various mission movements in the past few years,  but the most

successful one remains the Doubling Movement that took place  between 1955

and 1965. Much wisdom can be gleaned from this movement and  pastors should

give special attention to 4 important aspects of this movement:

The first aspect is to take hold of opportunities afforded by  special
occasions.

Whether it’s a 100th anniversary or a 150th anniversary, such  occasions are

important moments in the history of a church and can serve as  powerful

incentives or inspirations that trigger further growth.

For example, we urge PCT members to adopt at least one friend or  family

member in the next 5 years and lead that person to salvation. In  the next five

years, earnestly pray for this person, actively reach out to him,  invite him to

church, and lead him to Christ. The goal is to see him come to  Jesus before

>2015.

The second aspect is to take advantage of strengths afforded by  church

organizational structures. Every denomination’s  organizational structure is

unique – some delegate authority to local churches while others  confer more

decision-making powers to a central governing body.

Presbyteries play a vital role in PCT’s organizational  structure. We have

churches in every city, township, and village, as well as in every  valley,
mountain,

plain, and coastal region which are linked by common presbyteries.

Hence, if we take every presbytery as a core component of the New  Doubling

Movement and every local church as a presbytery’s vital  partner in this

movement, then we would realize the importance of outlining  suitable strategies

for every presbytery. Presbyteries would then get every church  within its

jurisdiction onboard this New Doubling Movement and we’d  easily reach the

>whole of Taiwan.

The structure of the Doubling Movement a few decades ago included  4 tiers and

each tier had its unique functions. The 4 tiers were members,  local churches,

presbyteries, and the General Assembly. Members gave moral  support, money,

and time. Local churches offered training to members and set  mission goals.

Presbyteries provided training to missionaries, raised awareness,  and started

new foundations and churches. The General Assembly raised  awareness on new

data, statistics, witnessing techniques, or mediated problems and  set
regulations.

The third aspect is to choose the most appropriate method to share  the gospel.

The Doubling Movement’s strategy was to build churches in  every village,

township, and city and win people to Christ through  church-planting. PCT chose

this strategy because half of the towns and villages across Taiwan  didn’t even

>have a single church at the time.

Granted, things are different today and new strategies are needed  when it

comes to church growth. Nowadays, most townships and villages  already have
churches.

If we were to build new churches, we’d have to look into  building churches in

newly developed communities that didn’t’ exist a few  years ago or building
urban

Aborigine churches because recent migration trends show that more  Aborigines

are moving to cities in search of employment. Another option is  for existing
urban

churches to consider sharing a church building with urban  Aborigine churches.

Hence, besides the more obvious alternative of building churches,  perhaps we

should think about other things PCT could do to grow. For example,  in the past

decade, most PCT churches have spent a lot of time and effort in  community

outreach ministries to attract people to church and share the  gospel. Since
each

church has its own gifts and strengths, community outreach has  been quite
diverse.

Because of these ministries, people will hear the gospel, accept  Christ, and

become new Christians. Once they become Christians, the next  logical step will

be to provide discipleship training and this will also be an  integral part of

reaching the goals of the New Doubling Movement.

The fourth aspect is to continue discussion and exchange of ideas.  For example,

during the Doubling Movement years, PCT churches created many cell  groups

and also offered seminars lasting from 3 to 5 days at various  times. These

seminars or forums helped church leaders make necessary  adjustments and

enhanced solidarity within churches. Together, these factors  played vital
roles in

>the rapid growth of PCT.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)