From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

B'nai B'rith Urges Presbyterian Fairness on Mideast; Beilin Issues Letter

From "David Michaels" <dmichaels@bnaibrith.org>
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2010 09:56:47 -0400

>B'NAI B'RITH INTERNATIONAL
>News Release

>Contact:  Sharon Bender
>202-857-6699 or sbender@bnaibrith.org

B'NAI B'RITH INTERNATIONAL URGES FAIR PRESBYTERIAN APPROACH TO MIDDLE

>EAST

Yossi Beilin, Former Deputy Foreign Minister, Issues Letter to Church
Delegates

(Washington, D.C., June 24, 2010)-B'nai B'rith International is urging
delegates to the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA) to
oppose the adoption of reports and resolutions that demonize Israel and
target it with such measures as a proposed suspension of American
military aid. The mainline Protestant denomination's biannual convention
gets underway July 3 in Minneapolis.

Among the materials slated for consideration by the assembly is a Middle
East Study Committee report whose content dramatically emphasizes
perceived Israeli wrongdoing and Palestinian suffering, while belittling
Arab obligations, historical Jewish roots in the land, and the Jewish
state's efforts for peace in the face of terrorism. The report also
fails to recognize that Israel is the Middle East's only free,
pluralistic society and the only country in the region whose Christian
population has grown in actual numbers.

The 172-page report positively cites "Kairos," itself a highly
inflammatory Palestinian Christian document, and endorses the
recommendation of the church's Mission Responsibility Through Investment
committee to denounce one company for its lawful sale of products to the
Israel Defense Forces. Individual presbytery overtures go even further,
calling for outright divestment from the company and explicitly
endorsing "Kairos," which refers to terrorism as "resistance," embraces
outdated supersessionist ideas, calls for boycotts against the Jewish
state, and labels Israeli policies a "sin against God."

B'nai B'rith is circulating a letter from former Israeli Deputy Foreign
Minister Yossi Beilin urging church delegates against unbalanced or
counterproductive steps on the Middle East.

In his letter (text below), Beilin notes that economic sanctions
directed at a democracy like Israel only weaken peacemakers.

>The letter text:

With greetings from Israel, I write to you as someone whose career as a
cabinet member, a member of Parliament and peace activist has been
defined by vigorous engagement in the pursuit of reconciliation and
coexistence in the Middle East. I was an initiator of the historic Oslo
peace process between Palestinians and Israelis, and successfully
sponsored legislation to guarantee equal representation for the Arab
minority in my country itself.

Having been blessed with so many friends of all stripes across the
United States, I recognize the importance of the Presbyterian Church
(USA) as a faith community and a part of American society. I can imagine
how weighty are the responsibilities of your service at the 219th
General Assembly of the PC (USA).

It is in this vein, and in a spirit of friendship and genuine respect,
that I write to you. It goes without saying that I would not normally
comment on policy deliberations such as those at the General Assembly,
but I am confident that you would appreciate direct and honest
perspectives from someone impacted by particular such deliberations.

I know that, over recent years, your partners from the spectrum of the
mainstream American Jewish community have shared their hope that
prospective PC (USA) actions on the Arab-Israeli conflict would reflect
a sensitive, nuanced and balanced approach, and avoid importing the
tensions of the Middle East beyond the region.

I, too, would urge that you decline adopting materials and proposals
that place inordinate blame on Israel for the conflict, without due
appreciation for the extent of the physical threats - both rhetoric and
deeds - that its people face. As much so, the singling out for censure
or punitive measures of businesses engaged with one side to one complex
conflict is highly counterproductive. Among the overtures before you is
a call for divestment from such a company. The Middle East Study
Committee report would also both call into question vital American aid
to Israel while viewing positively, without stated qualification, the
polemical "Kairos Palestine" document - which promotes a blanket "system
of economic sanctions and boycott to be applied against Israel" alone. I
do believe in economic sanctions, but when they are directed against
democracies they are counter-productive.

For all its shortcomings, Israel is a democracy, and one well-known for
extraordinarily robust political debate. However, narratives and
activism that appear to target Israelis or exclude recognition of any of
Israel's positive contributions to peace only make the people of my
country, including the most progressive and moderate of us, feel
isolated, insecure and less capable of encouraging the kinds of
concessions and risks for peace that I have long strongly advocated.

I urge you to act for peace in a way that strengthens Israeli and
Palestinian peacemakers alike.

B'nai B'rith International, the Global Voice of the Jewish Community, is
the oldest and most widely known Jewish humanitarian, human rights, and
advocacy organization.  For 166 years, BBI has worked for Jewish unity,
security, continuity, and tolerance.  Visit www.bnaibrith.org.