From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese E-bulletin June 25, 2010

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:05:03 -0700

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10075-0106
Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0237
Web: http://www.goarch.org  - Email: communications@goarch.org

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese E-bulletin June 25, 2010

This is the weekly edition of the GOA E-Bulletin. For more information just
click on the links below to go to the topics of interest to you.

If the link does not work from your email, copy the link and paste it into the
address bar of your web browser.

FEAST OF THE HOLY APOSTLES PETER AND PAUL: June 29 is the Feast of the Holy
Apostles Peter and Paul.  For the background for this feast, an explanation of
the icon, hymns, readings and more visit the special site at

www.goarch.org/special/listen_learn_share/holyapostles/index_html

2010 CLERGY-LAITY CONGRESS REGISTRATION:  The 40th Biennial Clergy-Laity
Congress will be this Summer in Atlanta, July 4-8.  Registration and reporting
forms are now available online.  Mark your calendar and register early.  This
site will be updated with additional information on the Congress in the coming
months.  A summary of main events for each day of the Congress is now available.

www.goarch.org/archdiocese/clergylaity/2010/index_html

OUR FAITH ARTICLE ON APOSTLES FAST AND FEAST OF THE APOSTLES:  May 31 was the
beginning of the Apostlesâ?? Fast, a period that concludes with the Feasts of
the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul and the Synaxis of the Holy Apostles.  An article
on this observance and this fasting period can be found online in the Our Faith
section of the website.

www.goarch.org/ourfaith/feast_of_the_twelve_apostles

MAY-JUNE ISSUE OF ORTHODOX OBSERVER ONLINE:  The latest issue of the Orthodox
Observer is now available online.  Download a full-color pdf of the May-June
issue for news from throughout the Archdiocese and around the world.  Also view
special sections for Youth and Family Ministry and the upcoming Clergy-Laity
Congress.  Access to archives of past issues are also available.

www.goarch.org/news/observer

OCF CONNECT KIT FOR HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATES: It's not too late to order an OCF
Connect Kit for your graduate. Our kits are full of items to help our students
stay connected to Christ and His Church while away at college.  Visit

www.ocf.net/store

MESSAGE OF ECUMENICAL PATRIARCH BARTHOLOMEW ON GULF OIL SPILL:  His All
Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew has issued a message in response to
the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.  His message laments the
destruction of our natural environment as a result of this disaster.  He calls
for higher levels of accountability and concern for the created order and for
prayers and support for the clean up efforts and actions to prevent future
catastrophes.  You can read the full text of the message at

www.goarch.org/news/patriarch-gulfoilspill%20-05102010

CENTER FOR FAMILY CARE LAUNCHES NEW EMAIL MINISTRY: FAMILY LINK -  Through the
Family Link email ministry, we hope to bring you practical ideas, inspiration,
and upcoming events to assist your family as you grow in the Orthodox faith.
Additionally we will provide ways in which to assist both your family and your
parish's ministry to families. Through the Family Link, we hope to encourage
you to share your resources for family ministry so that we in turn can share
them with others.  To subscribe to Family Link, visit

www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/family/familylinklistserv

YOUTH DEPT. PUBLISHES 2010-2011 ECCLESIASTICAL PLANNER: The Department of Youth and Young
Adult Ministries is pleased to announce the publication of the 2010-2011 Ecclesiastical
Planner. This yearâ??s Planner is based upon the Archdiocese theme, â??Come and
Seeâ??, set forth by His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America.  The Planner is an
excellent resource for Orthodox faithful to stay connected to their Faith with daily
lectionary readings and inspirational quotes from scripture and holy men and women of the
Faith. It includes daily fasting guidelines, morning and evening prayers and saints of the
day. The Planner follows the Ecclesiastical
(Church) year beginning in September and ending in August. It makes an
excellent gift for students and helpful resource for church school teachers and
youth workers. The Planner has been published by the Department for over 25
years and is now available for purchase exclusively through the Department of
Religious Education at 800.566.1088 or through the Orthodox Marketplace at

www.orthodoxmarketplace.com

HELLENIC COLLEGE CONTINUES CHRYSOSTOM SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM: Hellenic College
will continue to award a  scholarship to the winner of the senior division
Chrysostom Oratorical Contest of each participating parish .The scholarship is
for 100% of tuition for the first year and 80% of tuition for each of the
following three years providing the student maintains a 3.0 GPA and adheres to
the conduct and standards expected of a student in the college. Winners are not
guaranteed admission to Hellenic College. Students must satisfy admission
requirements for the college in order to be eligible for the scholarship. The
estimated value of the scholarship over fours of study is approximately
$68,000. Those interested are encouraged to contact Mr. Gregory Floor, Director
of Admissions, at 617-850-1285, or via email at gfloor@hchc.edu. Information is
also available on the Hellenic College website at

www.hchc.edu/hellenic/admissions/anniversary-scholarships-continued.html

THIS WEEK FROM THE ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN NETWORK

COME RECEIVE THE LIGHT - THE NATIONALLY SYNDICATED RADIO PROGRAM OF ORTHODOX
CHRISTIANITY
Today, Fr. Chris is joined by Sylvia Leontaris, the creator of the popular
blog OrthodoxMom.com. She'll tell us about why she started the blog, what
readers can expect to find there and the role her faith plays in her
motherhood. Plus, on July 2nd each year, we commemorate Saint Juvenal of
Alaska, Protomartyr of America. Here to tell us about this important
American Saint is Archimandrite Juvenal of St. Herman's Orthodox Seminary
in Kodiak, Alaska, where he is the Instructor in Liturgics & Canon Law.
************************
THIS WEEK¹S PODCASTS
This week on Theologically Thinking, join Fr. Thomas Hopko as he answers
the question what does it mean to be created in the image and likeness of
God. In this week's episode of Special Moments in Orthodoxy, Fr. David
Smith continues  his series  ³Tradition Today² Join Fr. David as  he
discusses Saint James¹ Epistle and  how the writing of  this short,
exciting and to the point book differs from that of  St. Paul. This week
on OTTO, join Fr. Christopher and South Florida Teenagers as they discuss
the influences of magazines and social attitudes towards ones physical
image.
*******************
OCN and YOUR iPhone - With the release of the Ark and the Rudder in one
convenient and free download, listeners will have even more options from
which to listen to OCN's Orthodox liturgical music, groundbreaking
podcasts and contemporary Orthodox music. To download your copy, go to the
iTunes application store and type ocn. The download is free and is
effortless to install. Visit our web site for details at
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=32630749
4&mt=8.
*******************
SHARE THE LIGHT PARTNERS
"As for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, and given him
power to eat of it, to receive his heritage and rejoice in his labor--this
is the gift of God." Ecclesiastes 5:19
These days, ³wealth² is receiving much attention.  In  Ecclesiastes, we are
reminded that all our wealth, whether it is in the form of health, money,
material possessions, family, friends, time or talent- comes from God.  He
gives it to us to use for His glory. What a better way to glorify God than
to become a Share the Light Partner with the Orthodox Christian Network?
Share the Light Partners donate a gift of $1,000 or more during the course
of the year.  Won't you join the 40 faithful who have already partnered
with us to bring God's word to the world? This is one small way that you
can thank God for the wealth that He has blessed you with.
Our goal is to have 60-70 ³Share the Light Partner² supporters by  the end
of the summer and at least 100 by the end of the year.  God may even bless
us with more!  He has been known to work wonders for all of us.  Remember
that in God¹s eyes, it isn¹t the amount of wealth that we  accumulate that
is important, but rather it is the amount that we give that is important.

**********************
FACEBOOK and TWITTER
Have you joined the thousands on OCN¹s Facebook and Twitter pages? Join  us
to follow programming and events covered on the ARK, the RUDDER and the
Anchor. While you are at it tell your friends to visit as well.
*******************
RADIO SOLUTIONS for Orthodox Christian Parishes Worldwide
The Orthodox Christian Network (The OCN) is pleased to announce a new
service to Orthodox parishes and ministries world wideâ?¹Customized  Online
Radio Stations. Since recently acquiring new online radio server software,
we can now offer completely customized 24/7 online radio stations in a
cost effective and efficient way allowing parishes to stay connected to
their parishioners more so than ever before. OCN looks forward to being
your supplier of customized Orthodox Christian programming. For more
information about Orthodox Internet radio solutions visit our web site at
www.myocn.net or call us today at 954-522-5567 to speak to one of our
support staff.
*******************
LAND BASED STATION
Have you ever thought of having your own land based radio program in your
city which features your church as both an outreach to your own
parishioners and a beacon of light to those looking for the TRUE FAITH!
Call us today to find out how you can do it! 954-522-5567.
*******************
ADVERTISING/SPONSORSHIP Opportunities
Sponsor a program or feature your company on the high trafficked MyOCN.net
website. OCN is now making available the opportunity for people and
corporations to advertise on our site to support the ministry. Ad space is
available so call our headquarters to discuss it. Call today 954-522-5567.
**********************
INTERNET RADIO STATIONS
Log on to myocn.net to listen to the Ark, the Rudder and the Anchor to
hear special programming. Whether you enjoy contemporary, traditional
Orthodox music or a talk format there is something for you at myocn.net.
Join the hundreds of thousands of people worldwide visiting us every week.

All programs available on Internet Radio, Podcast and On Demand at
www.myocn.net.

LOOKING FOR A JOB: OrthodoxJobs.com is the source for Orthodox Christians who
are seeking employment in an Orthodox Christian or Christian environment. In
its current version, it is a posting site of Job opportunities for any
Archdiocese, Metropolis, Diocese, Parish, or Organization that falls under the
jurisdiction of SCOBA, the Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in
the Americas. To post a job on this site, simply send us a job ad/posting with
contact information and duration of the posting. Future releases will include
resources for employers and employees.

www.orthodoxjobs.com

DAILY BIBLE READINGS FOR FACEBOOK AND iGoogle: The Department of Internet
Ministries has launched an enhancement to its Online Chapel service that will
now provide Facebook and iGoogle users access to the daily Bible readings and
lives of the saints directly from their customized home pages. Visit the Online
Chapel at www.goarch.org/chapel  for more information on how to add the new
Online Chapel for Facebook and Online Chapel for iGoogle to your home pages.

SUPPORT THE ARCHDIOCESE WHILE SEARCHING or SHOPPING ON THE WEB:  The Greek
Orthodox Archdiocese has partnered with GoodSearch.com, a new search engine
that donates half its revenue, about a penny per search, to the charities its
users designate. You use it just as you would any search engine, and it's