From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Reformed churches send special message to children

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:36:22 -0700

News Release

Reformed churches send special message to children

By Jerry Van Marter, UGC correspondent

The Uniting General Council of the World Communion of Reformed Churches ended as it
began: with a special message to children welcoming them to the new "family" of
80 million Reformed Christians worldwide that was created in Grand Rapids, United States
on 18 June 2010.

In story-telling style, the concluding "Message to the Children" described the June 18-28
UGC as a family reunion, with all the joys and sorrows, celebrations and disappointments, laughter
and tears that go with them. "It was a shame that 71 family members couldn't come to the
party," the message read, referring to UGC registrants who were denied visas to enter the
United States.

The message incorporating children into the life of the fledgling WCRC echoed the
previous Sunday's (June 20) worship service in which children engaged in liturgical
dialogue with WCRC leaders, who explained the significance of the merger between the
World Alliance of Reformed Churches and the Reformed Ecumenical Council and the
Sacrament of the Lordâ??s Supper that sealed the union.

At the dialogue's conclusion WCRC leaders presented a copy of the new
organization's logo to the children, welcoming them into the family.

In reference to the participation of Native American and Canadian First Nations
peoples at the UGC, the message to children referred to a keynote presentation
by the American Indian educator, Richard Twiss.

"One of our wise uncles welcomed us with a smile and told us stories about the first
peoples who lived here", the message  says.

He said "some things have gone terribly wrong in the past because you didn't know
how to listen and how to share. But now I will reach out to you and I hope you to me, and
let's do better in the future."

"Before we said good-bye we made promises to each other, saying "I will not forget you. I will
listen to you. You will be my friend," the concluding message read. "I will be fair to you,
care about what happens to you, and if you need me I will be there for you. We will work together for
everyone in our church family and for all other families too!"

The message to children was accompanied by a message to adults in the form of a
liturgy. The full text of the UGC messages to adults and to children is to be
posted to:  www.reformed.churches.org

The Uniting General Council 2010 in Grand Rapids, United States (June 18-28)
marks the merger of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches and the Reformed
Ecumenical Council to form the World Communion of Reformed  Churches.

Contact: Kristine Greenaway
Executive Secretary, Communications
World Communion of Reformed Churches

UGC News Room ? Calvin College - Hoogenboom Center Room HC 204

Cell phone: 1-616-826-5540 or 1-616-826-8636

News Room: 1-616-526-7885
email: kgr@warc.ch

web: www.reformedchurches.org