From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

United Methodist General Conference 2012 Theme and Logo Selected

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:50:48 -0700

General Conference 2012 Theme and Logo Selected

?Make Disciples of Jesus Christ to Transform the World?

United Methodist Communications
Office of Public Information
810 12th Avenue S.
Nashville, TN 37203
<http://www.umcpresscenter.org/>www.umcpresscenter.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 24, 2010

Nashville, Tenn.:  The Commission on the General Conference has selected ?Make
Disciples of Jesus Christ to Transform the World? as the theme for The United
Methodist Church?s 2012 General Conference, scheduled for April 24-May 4 in
Tampa, Fla.

[]

The theme echoes the mission of The United Methodist Church to make disciples of
Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world as a way of aligning the General
Conference with the denomination?s central mission­so that the conference is
not a one-time event, but a part of the ongoing ministry of the church.

A committee of representatives from the Commission on the General Conference
and the Council of Bishops was charged with making recommendations for a theme
and logo to the full commission for approval. Once a theme was selected, the
United Methodist Publishing House?s design team developed logo proposals for
consideration.

?We sensed that people across the church are longing for clarity about our
mission, and we believed that the theme of the General Conference should
reinforce and celebrate that mission,? said Jim Harnish, a member of the
commission and chair of the committee. ?We hope that the Spirit of God will use
this theme to unite and energize our people to fulfill this mission and enable
us to set clear priorities for the use of our resources.?

The logo which complements the theme depicts a graphic image of the cross
(representing the presence of Jesus Christ at the center of our mission) with
circles extending from the cross
(expressing energy and movement into ministry in the world) imposed against a
bright sun and blue water (representing Tampa, Fla. as the conference site).
The imperative verbs ?make? and
?transform? underscore the urgency of the mission and call for active  response.

The Commission also announced that the official General Conference 2012 website
will be http://gc2012.umc.org. The site is expected to be available by early
fall.  A graphic of the logo and a more detailed interpretation of the theme is
available
<http://www.umc.org/atf/cf/%7Bdb6a45e4-c446-4248-82c8-e131b6424741%7D/2012_G
ENERAL_CONFERENCE_THEME_&_LOGO.PDF>here.

About General Conference 2012

General Conference is the top policy-making body of The United Methodist
Church. The 1000-member assembly meets once every four years to consider
revisions to church law, as well as adopt resolutions on current moral, social,
public policy and economic issues. It also approves plans and budgets for
churchwide programs for the next four years. The 2012 meeting will take place
April 24-May 4 at the Tampa Convention Center.

Media contact:
Diane Degnan
<mailto:ddegnan@umcom.org>ddegnan@umcom.org
615-742-5406 (w)