From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Mountain region churches wary but prepared as typhoon season nears

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2010 11:55:05 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3043 Edition

>June 21~June 27, 2010

Mountain region churches wary but prepared as typhoon season nears

>Reported by Lin Yi-ying

>Written by Lydia Ma

Heavy rains in the past few days wreaked havoc in parts of  Kaohsiung. In view
of the fast

approaching typhoon season, Taiwan Church News set out to see if  areas
devastated by

Typhoon Morakot last year are already prepared to handle this  year’s typhoons.

Our attention turned to Taoyuan Township and Liouguei Township in  Kaohsiung
County,

Chialan Village in Taitung County, Alishan in Chiayi County, and  Sinyi
Township in Nantou

County because these areas were the worst hit by Typhoon Morakot.

“Typhoon drills and preventive measures should be the  government’s
responsibility because

churches can only help mobilize material supplies in times of  crisis,” said
PCT Tsou District

Church and Society Committee Chairman Rev. Wang Chih-sheng. His  remark
shattered once

and for all the misperception that local churches are responsible  for carrying
out rescue operations.

Wang further reported that Alishan Township Office had recently  staged a drill
and the local

PCT-run crisis shelter had already stocked up food and daily  supplies just in
case. But he

underscored that food shortages will most certainly remain a  serious problem
if roads are

>destroyed by typhoons again.

According to South Bunun Presbytery, all its churches have checked  their
generators and

other electronic appliances recently to ensure that they’re  running properly.
The presbytery

plans to convene a meeting soon to draft a plan on necessary  measures needed
to reduce

>damages inflicted by natural disasters.

East Paiwan Presbytery reported that in the aftermath of Typhoon  Morakot, more
than 60

members from various churches under its jurisdiction had received  crisis
prevention training

led by PCT, World Vision, and Chinese Christian Relief  Association.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)