From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Presiding bishop experiences manaakitanga - hospitality - of New Zealand province / Moravian-E

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2010 06:07:51 -0400

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Presiding bishop experiences manaakitanga - hospitality
- of New Zealand province
* TOP STORY - Moravian-Episcopal full communion agreement is focus of
July 11 bulletin inserts
* WORLD REPORT - ZIMBABWE: Police drive Anglican pilgrims away from
Bernard Mizeki Shrine
* PEOPLE - SCLM announces task force group leaders
* OPINION - Discovering God's love in Belize
* DAYBOOK - June 29: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EBAR PICK - "The Price of Stones: Building a School for My Village"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Presiding bishop experiences manaakitanga - hospitality - of New
Zealand province

>By Lloyd Ashton

[Anglican Taonga] Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori arrived
in Auckland on June 25 to begin an informal weeklong visit to the
Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia.

Jefferts Schori arrived on a day of persistent, heavy rain, but that
didn't dampen the enthusiasm of some 60 people, including archbishops
William Brown Turei and David Moxon, who took part in the powhiri -- a
Maori welcoming ceremony -- at the College of St. John the Evangelist.

The presiding bishop was clearly among friends who were determined
that she should experience manaakitanga -- a Maori word meaning
hospitality -- on her arrival in the country.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_123150_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Moravian-Episcopal full communion agreement is focus of July 11 bulletin
inserts

The Northern Province of the Moravian Church voted June 18 to enter
into full communion with the Episcopal Church. ENS Weekly bulletin
inserts for July 11, titled "Historic Partners," report on the new
full communion agreement, which was approved by the Episcopal Church's
2009 General Convention, meeting in Anaheim, Calif.

To download inserts, click here:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/95270_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

ZIMBABWE: Police drive Anglican pilgrims away from Bernard Mizeki Shrine

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] Hundreds of Anglican pilgrims traveling to
the Bernard Mizeki Shrine for their annual commemorations on June 25
were driven away by the Zimbabwe Republic Police despite court rulings
granting them access to Anglican church property.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_123163_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

>SCLM announces task force group leaders

>ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] The Episcopal Church Standing Commission on
Liturgy and Music June 28 announced the names of task force leaders
charged with leading the development of theological resources and
liturgies for same-sex blessings, according to a news release.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_123181_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Discovering God's love in Belize

>By Judy Quick

[Episcopal News Service] We are all on pilgrimage, aren't we?
Wandering, seeking, and searching for meaning. Pilgrimage is often a
journey to a sacred site. Our pilgrim's heart longs to discover the
deeper meaning of our soul. The pilgrim's way can be a rocky road,
littered with unpleasant situations. We need these struggles to leave
our comfort zone, to confront our limitations, and to deepen our
relationship with God.

My journey to Belize was a pilgrimage. Soothed by the warm breezes and
lilting waters of the Caribbean, Belize welcomed me with open arms.
Yet life isn't always easy in paradise.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_123152_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On June 29, 2010, the church remembers Saint Peter & Saint Paul.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On June 29, 1685, Thomas Ken, hymnist, was
consecrated as Bishop of Bath and Wells.

>_____________________

>EBAR PICK

"The Price of Stones: Building a School for My Village" by Twesigye
Jackson Kaguri, with Susan Urbanek Linville, hardcover, 288 pages, c.
Jun 2010, $25.95.

[Penguin Publishing] The extraordinary story of one man's gift to
orphaned children in need of hope. Can one person really make a
difference in the world? Twesigye Jackson Kaguri defied many
naysayers-and his own nagging doubts -- and proved that, with a dream
and incredible determination, he could change many lives.

Growing up in rural Uganda, Kaguri overcame poverty to earn a degree
from the national university and worked as a human rights advocate,
eventually making his way to pursue studies at Columbia University.
When he returned to his village in Uganda with his wife, they were
overwhelmed by the plight of his village's many AIDS orphans and vowed
to open the first tuition-free school in the district for these
children. Faced with many daunting obstacles, including little money,
skepticism among friends in both the U.S. and Uganda, corrupt school
inspectors, and a lack of supplies, he doggedly built one classroom
after another until they had an accredited primary school filled with
students dreaming of becoming the future doctors, teachers, lawyers,
engineers, and even presidents of Uganda.

The Price of Stones is the stirring story behind the founding of the
Nyaka AIDS Orphans School. Weaving together tales from his youth with
the enormously inspiring account of the remarkable challenges and
triumphs of the school, Kaguri shows how someone with a modest idea is
capable of achieving monumental results. His story will captivate all
readers of Three Cups of Tea and Tracy Kidder's Strength in What
Remains.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.