From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Editorial: May the nations be blessed by evangelists

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:25:12 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3043 Edition

>June 21~June 27, 2010

Editorial: May the nations be blessed by evangelists

>Translated by Lydia Ma

As strains of Auld Lang Syne resound in seminaries, signaling the  time has
come for

seminarians to leave for their respective churches, we can almost  picture
these new pastors

or missionaries as virgins with their oil lamps – ready to  shine and serve to
the very end. We

know that every moment of their ministry will be remembered by the  Lord, who
will reward

>each person.

The place in which these new pastors find themselves now is  reminiscent of how
James

Laidlaw Maxwell might’ve felt when he first set foot in  Taiwan on a June day
145 years ago.

We know Maxwell’s story well – it has been told and retold  for generations.
After Maxwell

arrived to Tainan, he rented a small house just outside of Tainan  city’s
Western Gate. He

transformed the front of the house into a chapel and the back into  a clinic.

Maxwell’s spirit of service and humility were apparent long  before he arrived
to Taiwan,

evidenced by how he responded to life’s mysteries. After  bidding farewell to
his fiancee in

1863, he left England on a ship headed for China. After arriving  to Xiamen,
China, on January

2, 1864, he began studying local languages with great diligence  and sharing
the gospel with

>locals through meeting their medical needs.

Maxwell must have been shocked to learn that Presbyterian Church  of England
(PCE) bylaws

at the time required at least one credentialed PCE minister in  every region
that PCE planned

to start a ministry. Since Maxwell wasn’t a minister, he had  to wait in China
for a credentialed

minister from PCE to arrive and partner with him before he could  sail for
Taiwan.

Though Maxwell disagreed with this bylaw, he chose to abide by it  and wait.
After spending 16

months in China, a civil uprising in China finally turned  PCE’s attention to
ministry in Taiwan.

So, on May 28, 1865, Maxwell, Rev. Carstairs Douglas, and others  finally
sailed for Taiwan

>and docked at a port in Kaohsiung.

Upon their arrival, Maxwell could finally begin his medical  practice and
ministry in Taiwan and

on June 16, 1865, he began a clinic and a chapel in his rented  apartment. The
date is now

celebrated by the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan as its  anniversary.

We are really grateful to God for blessing Taiwan with one of  Scotland’s
finest young men.

Maxwell graduated from Edinburgh University and excelled in  medicine,
philosophy, ethics,

mathematics, and physics. He worked at Birmingham General Hospital  and was
also an elder

>at Broad Street Church.

To the world’s amazement, a smart guy like Maxwell chose to  become a “fool” by
offering his

life to God’s service. Even though he encountered setbacks  due to church
regulations, he still

chose the path of obedience and equipped himself as he waited on  God to open a
door.

At the end of June this year and having completed training in  seminaries
across Taiwan, a

new band of soldiers will enter the mission field or full-time  ministry. We
hope that every PCT

member will bless them and pray for them. We also pray that these  new
ministers will learn to

be “smart fools” attentive to the Holy Spirit’s  calling, just like Maxwell.

The lives of these new ministers will always be an adventure and  they mustn’t
rely on their own

experience or wisdom when facing unknown futures. To these heroes  committed to
serve

God, we exhort, “Go! Like doves, fly to every corner of this  land with God’s
protection to

minister to oppressed women, workers, Aborigines, and disabled  people… and may
the

>nations be blessed because of you!”

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)