From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Mexico adopts the Anglican Communion Covenant

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:15:07 -0700

Mexico adopts the Anglican Communion Covenant

Posted On : June 30, 2010 09:44 AM | Posted By : Admin ACO
ACNS: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/news.cfm/2010/6/30/ACNS4711
Related Categories: Mexico

Mexico has become the first Communion Province to adopt the Anglican Communion
Covenant following its VI General Synod in Mexico City on 11 and 12 June.

Secretary General Kenneth Kearon said he was delighted at the decision and
labelled The Anglican Church of Mexico's decision as a
"significant step" in the life of the Communion.

The Anglican Communion Covenant, a document that outlines the common life and values of
the Communion, was described by Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams as
"Something that helps us know where we stand together and also helps us to intensify
our fellowship and our trust." It includes a section that proposes how to address
significant disagreements within the Anglican Communion.

The idea of a Covenant was first raised in 2004 and member churches are currently reviewing the
latest and final version. "We are delighted to hear that Mexico has agreed to adopt the
Covenant," said Canon Kearon. "Provinces were asked to take their time to seriously
consider this document, and we are glad to hear from recent synods that they are doing just
that."

Ends

For more information contact Mr Jan Butter on  jan.butter@anglicancommunion.org

Notes to Editors

? The Mexican Episcopal Church symbolically began with Mexico's war for
independence in 1810. Religious reform in 1857 secured freedom of religion,
separating the Roman Catholic Church from government and politics. In 1860, the
newly formed Church of Jesus contacted the Episcopal Church in the United
States, seeking leadership, guidance, and support. In 1958, the fourth
missionary Bishop of Mexico was the first of the Church's Bishops to be
consecrated on Mexican soil. The Church became an autonomous Province of the
Anglican Communion in 1995. http://www.iglesiaanglicanademexico.org/
? The Anglican Communion Office serves the Anglican Communion, comprising
around 80 million members in 44 regional and national member churches around
the globe in more than 160 countries. http://www.anglicancommunion.org/