From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Church leaders denounce Philippines political killings, call for justice under new president

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 1 Jul 2010 06:49:33 -0400

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Church leaders denounce Philippines political killings,
call for justice under new president
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - LOS ANGELES: Denial of immigrant rights 'has got
to stop,' say interfaith activists
* WORLD REPORT - MEXICO: Province becomes first to adopt Anglican  Covenant
* MISSION - National Association of Episcopal Schools awards $12,000
in outreach grants
* IMAGE GALLERY - Presiding bishop visits New Zealand
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS - July 4, 2010 - Sixth Sunday After Pentecost,
Proper 9 - Year C
* DAYBOOK - July 1: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EBAR PICK - "The Newcomer Collection"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Church leaders denounce Philippines political killings, call for
justice under new president

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] Global church leaders have condemned the
murders of two lay members of the Philippine Independent Church in
what is being reported as the latest spate of political killings under
the controversial presidency of Maria Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, who
stepped down June 30 as the country's leader.

Benjamin Bayles, a human rights activist, and Jovelito Agustin, a
broadcaster who defended workers' rights, were reportedly shot dead
June 14 and 15, respectively, by suspected paramilitary groups on
motorcycles.

Both men were active members of the Philippine Independent Church, or
Iglesia Filipina Independiente (IFI), which is in full communion with
the U.S.-based Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_123259_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

LOS ANGELES: Denial of immigrant rights 'has got to stop,' say
interfaith activists

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] As part of a national push to heighten
awareness of the need for comprehensive immigration reform, a group of
Christians, Jews and Muslims in Los Angeles declared June 29 a day of
prayer and fasting and urged opposition to Arizona's immigration law,
due to take effect in a month.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_123264_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

MEXICO: Province becomes first to adopt Anglican Covenant

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] The Anglican Church of Mexico has become the
first province to formally adopt the Anglican Covenant, according to a
June 30 release from the Anglican Communion Office.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_123218_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

National Association of Episcopal Schools awards $12,000 in outreach  grants

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] The National Association of Episcopal Schools
announced June 30 the award of $12,000 in Outreach Fund grants to 13
member schools, according to a news release.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_123239_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>IMAGE GALLERY

>Presiding bishop visits New Zealand

Images from Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori June 25-30
visit to New Zealand are available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81991_123243_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available
at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

July 4, 2010 - Sixth Sunday After Pentecost, Proper 9 - Year C

>By the Rev. Angela V. Askew

(RCL) 2 Kings 5:1-14; Psalm 30; Galatians 6:(1-6), 7-16; Luke 10:1-11,  16-20

Today's reading from the Second Book of Kings presents us with a
strange and complex story. The main characters are the Aramean warrior
Naaman, who has what our ancestors called "leprosy"; and the prophet
Elisha of Israel, chosen successor to Elijah, who eventually heals
Naaman.

The King of Aram and the King of Israel both appear as characters, but
they do not drive the plot; the plot is driven by nameless servants,
who matter a good deal more in the story than do the pair of kings.

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_123051_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On July 1, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On July 1, 1643, The Westminster Assembly convened
for the first time in London in the Henry VII Chapel of Westminster
Abbey. The assembly was appointed by the Long Parliament and sought to
restructure the Church of England.

>_____________________

>EBAR PICK

>"The Newcomer Collection" 2 DVD set, $20.

[Episcopal Media Center] This collection compiles a number of classic
productions created by the Diocese of Colorado as well as the
Episcopal Media Center and cover a wide breadth of subjects that help
welcome and introduce people of any age to the Episcopal Church. With
elegantly redesigned packaging this 2 DVD set makes a great gift to
any Episcopalian. Collection of six programs includes:

* Baptism: Sacrament of New Birth

* Sacraments: Participating in Signs of God's Grace
* Introduction to the Book of Common Prayer
* Welcome to the Episcopal Church
* Do this for the Remembrance of Me
* What it Means to be an Episcopalian

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.