From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

PCUSA - Stated Clerk touts middle governing body commission

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2010 10:22:44 -0700

Stated Clerk touts middle governing body commission

Parsons says group needs power to act; two years may be too long for some
presbyteries, synods in crisis
Bookmark and Share

Posted at
July 2, 2010 10:21 p.m.

by Jerry Van Marter

Presbyterian News Service

A proposal to the 219th General Assembly (2010) this week in Minneapolis to
create a commission to address issues facing middle governing bodies in the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is essential,? because so many presbyteries and
synods are in crisis, says the Rev. Gradye Parsons, Stated Clerk of the General
Assembly.

The proposed 21-member commission ? recommended by the Committee on the Office
of the General Assembly and strongly pushed by Parsons ? would have the power
to act between now and the 220th General Assembly (2012) at the request of
middle governing bodies that need to make changes within the next two years.

?The timing for some middle governing bodies is critical,? Parsons told the
Presbyterian News Service in an interview June 29?With diminishing resources
and other stresses, two years may be too long for some of our governing bodies
to last in their current configuration.?

The proposed mandate for the commission, which would be appointed by the
moderators of the 218th and 219th Assemblies, would include consultation
?with sessions, presbyteries, synods and the wider church on the mission and
function of middle governing bodies.? It would also develop models for ministry
that might aid struggling governing bodies.

At the request of presbyteries and synods, and conforming with G-13.0103m and
G-13.0103n of the Book of Order the commission could act ?as the General
Assembly? to ?organize new synods and divide, unite or otherwise combine synods
or portions of synods previously existing? and
?approve the organization, division, uniting or combining of presbyteries or
portions of presbyteries by synods.?

Parsons acknowledged that vesting that much power in a commission makes some
Presbyterians nervous. He notedthat the last time such a middle governing body
commission was created was in 1972. ?People should ask the hard questions, and
the General Assembly should add language to the proposal if it thinks it?s
wise,? he said, ?but the gravity of the situation requires that the commission
be given the power to act.?

General Assemblies are ill-equipped to deal with such complicated minutiae in
just a week, Parsons said. ?Some of our presbyteries and synods are incredibly
healthy and innovative. Others are really hurting for financial and other
reasons.?

A number of overtures have also been submitted to the Assembly addressing some
issues the commission would tackle. ?Lots of churches and middle governing
bodies are having conversations about how we can be one church together,?
Parsons said. ?The issues are not just financial. Ministry contexts have
changed a lot, and we really need a group that can take a concentrated,
comprehensive look at the whole governing body system and act quickly, if need
be.

?[The commission] has no authority to act unilaterally,? Parsons said, ?but it
has to have the authority to act. This commission is important because our
governing bodies are so important to the church.?