From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

PCUSA - Special guest makes appearance at Coalition breakfast

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2010 10:42:40 -0700

Special guest makes appearance at Coalition breakfast
Listen for the Word and the Spirit together
Bookmark and Share
Photo of a man wearing a white wig

The Rev. Grif Vautier from the Presbytery of the Grand Canyon, aka "John
Witherspoon" appeared at the Presbyterian Coalition Breakfast on Sunday to help
honor Independence Day. ?Photo by Dennis Sanders.

Posted at
July 4, 2010 9:50 p.m.

by Shane Whisler

Heads swiveled when the Presbyterian Coalition?s co-moderator, Nancy Cross,
announced the entrance of John Witherspoon, signer of the Declaration of
Independence and Presbyterian clergyman, during the group?s Sunday breakfast at
the 219th General Assembly (2010).

Witherspoon?s portrayer, the Rev. Grif Vautier of Kingman, Ariz., donned a robe
and Geneva collar like Witherspoon wore to the Continental Congress and
reminded the crowd that England?s King George referred to the American
Revolution as the ?Presbyterian Rebellion.?

?Three things don?t change: the character of God, the nature of man and the
gospel of Jesus Christ,? said Vautier. ?We must protect the proclamation of the
gospel. If we don?t, Christianity in this country is in danger.??

Vautier continued the theme of protecting the gospel, saying that Christians in
the western world, though they have ears, do not listen to the voice of God.
The Rev. Mateen Elass, pastor of First Presbyterian, Edmond, Okla., said the
way to protect the gospel should neither be too legalistic nor too
individualistic.

?I don?t share the same sanguine approach as some of our leadership up on the
podium,? he said.  ?I think there is a lot more involved than just invoking the
presence of the Holy Spirit.?

Elass was referring to the certainty he heard during General Assembly
orientation that ?the Holy Spirit is at work and will guide us to make the
right decision.??

He said it is hard to read the signs of the times and easy to use the language
of hearing from the Holy Spirit to justify personal views. He navigated several
elements and qualities the church should seek when determining what God is
saying.

God?s character is consistent and known through Scripture because God loves to
communicate and
?disclose himself to his people,? Elass said. He emphasized the importance of
keeping the Word and Spirit together when discerning the will of God.

?The Spirit and the Word together lead us safely into the mind of Christ,?? he
said. ?Not only the liberals and progressives have divided Word and Spirit, but
those in the evangelical ranks and the conservative ranks of the Presbyterian
church at times have divided Word and Spirit as well.??

To do this successfully, he said that one must have a strong personal
relationship with God and be in a community of disciples who are already
walking in obedience.