From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Presiding bishop preaches in Brisbane, Australia

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:27:51 -0400

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Presiding bishop preaches in Brisbane, Australia
* WORLD REPORT - UGANDA: Christian gay advocacy worker found decapitated
* DAYBOOK - July 7: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "Find Your Way Home - Words from
the Street, Wisdom from the Heart"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Presiding bishop preaches in Brisbane, Australia

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori
preached on Sunday, July 4, at Christ Church St. Lucia, in the Diocese
of Brisbane, as part of an informal visit to the Anglican Church of
Australia.

"Our communities are still pretty well divided up between the haves
and the have nots, the white and those of darker hue, the straight and
those who aren't. Yet we're all meant to cross over those boundaries
that keep some enslaved to others' definitions," she said. "We are all
invited to bathe in the river of freedom, to be washed clean of the
shame of thinking that some are different enough to be pushed out of
the community, away from the feast God has set from the beginning of
creation.

"Healing and reconciling need our active labor and participation," she
added. "Disciples are supposed to build bridges wherever possible."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_123310_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

UGANDA: Christian gay advocacy worker found decapitated

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] Ugandan police have identified the severed
head of a young Christian and gay rights worker, according to a blog
post from the Rev. Colin Coward, a Church of England priest and
director of U.K.-based gay and lesbian advocacy group Changing
Attitude.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_123315_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On July 7, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On July 7, 1220, Thomas Becket's shrine was
dedicated in Canterbury and became a popular pilgrim attraction. On
July 7, 1984, Bishop Robert C. Rusack of Los Angeles ordained Dr. Duc
Xuan Nguyen as the first Vietnamese priest in the Anglican Communion.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"Find Your Way Home - Words from the Street, Wisdom from the Heart" by
The Women of Magdalene, paperback, 119 pages, c. 2008, $10.

[Abingdon Press] "I remember the first day I came home. There were
four beautiful women walking out onto the porch to say hello. This was
the home I'd almost forgotten about. Thank you, God, for leading me
home."

In this remarkable book, the women of Magdalene ask questions that all
of us ask, and they share their own joyous, painful, uplifting
answers. Inspired by the classic Benedictine Rule, the women have
written down 24 rules they live by in the Magdalene community, a place
of healing and grace.

Magdalene is a residential community of women who have a criminal
history of prostitution and drug abuse. The women live together in a
series of Magdalene homes, supporting themselves and each other
through the work of Thistle Farms, a bath and body-care business run
by those in the program.

"In Find Your Way Home there are 24 rules...designed to provoke people
into discovering that God loves you as you are right now. And that God
loves the possibility within you." -- Presiding Bishop Katharine
Jefferts Schori

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.