From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] July 18 bulletin inserts recall first presiding bishop

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 7 Jul 2010 17:22:30 -0400

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - July 18 bulletin inserts recall first presiding bishop
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - NEW JERSEY: Medford parish 'goes solar'
* WORLD REPORT - CANADA: New resource to assist in sexuality discussions
* WORLD REPORT - SUDAN: After referendum, church leaders want protection
* WORLD REPORT - 'Water as human right' campaign gets global Protestant  backing
* MISSION - Bangladesh Bishop Paul Sarker visits New York
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Church of Bangladesh Bishop Paul Sarker
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS - July 11, 2010 - Seventh Sunday After
Pentecost, Proper 10 - Year C
* DAYBOOK - July 8: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "Journey to the Heart - Centering
Prayer for Children"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

July 18 bulletin inserts recall first presiding bishop

[Episcopal News Service] The Episcopal Church remembers its first
presiding bishop, William White, on July 17. ENS Weekly bulletin
inserts for Sunday, July 18 briefly tell how White was ordained in
England as bishop of Pennsylvania and was a major player in the
establishment of the Episcopal Church after the Revolutionary War,
drafting its constitution, advocating for the voice of the laity, and
serving as a moderate and reconciling voice in its councils.

Inserts may be downloaded at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/95270_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

>NEW JERSEY: Medford parish 'goes solar'

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Medford, New
Jersey, recently blessed a new 50,000-watt solar-panel system on the
roof of its building that will eventually generate between 75 and 80
percent of the electricity the parish needs.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_123361_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

CANADA: New resource to assist in sexuality discussions

[Episcopal News Service] A new discussion guide on human sexuality has
been developed by the Anglican Church of Canada that "may help
dioceses and parishes continue the robust, intentional dialogue
modeled at General Synod 2010," according to a church press release.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_123346_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

SUDAN: After referendum, church leaders want protection

>By Fredrick Nzwili

[Ecumenical News International, Nairobi] Southern Sudan Christians say
separation from the north of Africa's biggest country will be
"beautiful."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_123347_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

'Water as human right' campaign gets global Protestant backing

>By Stephen Brown

[Ecumenical News International] Church-backed campaigners on water
issues say they have received a boost from a global body representing
80 million Protestants that has called on its members to support
access to water as a basic human right.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_123345_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

>Bangladesh Bishop Paul Sarker visits New York

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] Church of Bangladesh Bishop Paul Shishir
Sarker visited the Episcopal Church Center in New York July 6, meeting
with Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori and program staff.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_123367_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MULTIMEDIA

Video: Church of Bangladesh Bishop Paul Sarker

[Episcopal News Service] During a recent visit to New York, Bishop
Paul Sarker of Dhaka speaks about the Church of Bangladesh, which he
serves as moderator, and the importance of Anglican Communion
partnerships.

Video:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm#ooid=NmdGtmMTpQIMs4MJ0
IJtKGaqxyE34svd,g2NGRqMTrXQV4NP5ncwRZojSO24hgOjS

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available
at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

July 11, 2010 - Seventh Sunday After Pentecost, Proper 10 - Year C

>By the Rev. Ken Kesselus

(RCL) Amos 7:7-17 and Psalm 82 (Track 2: Deuteronomy 30:9-14 and Psalm
25:1-9); Colossians 1:1-14; Luke 10:25-37

[Sermons That Work] Today we have before us what is perhaps the most
familiar story Jesus ever told: the parable of the Good Samaritan.
Hearing it again might cause us to wonder, Is there anything new in
this story that we haven't already thought about or heard preached
about? Hasn't it been worn smooth?

Hasn't the parable lost its power to teach us because we know it so  well?

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_123052_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On July 8, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On July 8, 1829, the Diocese of Kentucky held its
the first convention at Christ Church, Lexington.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"Journey to the Heart - Centering Prayer for Children" by Frank
Jelenek, paperback, 32 pages, c. 2007, $14.95.

[Paraclete Press] Centering prayer is a way of opening our whole being
to God, beyond thoughts, words and emotions. It is simple and
practical-a way of preparing heart and mind to receive the gift of
intimate relationship with God. Jesus said, "When you pray, go to your
inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And
your Father who sees in secret will reward you." (Matthew 6:6)

Frank Jelenek shows young children just how to do that. The first
guide to a contemplative prayer practice for children, Journey to the
Heart both instructs and inspires. Many parents and teachers will
learn from this colorful treasure of a book, as well! Until now,
parents and teachers had no resource available to introduce children
to the joys of communicating with God in this special, intimate way.

This loving book makes it easy for children to share in the spiritual
nourishment of centering prayer through age-appropriate illustrations
and text that provides clear directions and encouragement in simple,
fun language. Ideal for ages 3-10.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.