From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[LCMSNews] Harrison, Mueller elected

From "LCMS e-News" <LCMSENEWS@lcms.org>
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2010 19:27:09 -0500

>7.13.2010
>       LCMS News
>

>THE LUTHERAN CHURCH Missouri Synod
>

>July 13, 2010 .................... LCMSNews -- No. 60

>Harrison, Mueller elected to three-year terms

HOUSTON--Rev. Matthew C. Harrison, executive director of LCMS World
Relief and Human Care since 2001, is the new president-elect of The
Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod, and Rev. Herbert C. Mueller Jr. will
serve as first vice-president.

Harrison was elected on the first ballot July 13 by delegates to the
church body's 64th Regular Convention, meeting in Houston.  He received
643 votes, or 54 percent -- 593 votes were needed to win.

The Synod's current president, Dr. Gerald B. Kieschnick, received 527
votes, or 45 percent.  Mueller, also on the ballot for president,
received 8 votes; Dr. Carl C. Fickenscher II, 5; and Dr. Daniel L. Gard,
1.

Mueller was elected on the first ballot for first vice-president,
receiving 631 votes, or 53 percent.  He needed 600 votes for election.
Dr. William Diekelman received 339 votes; Rev. Daniel Preus, 82; Dr.
Wallace R. Schulz, 81; and Dr. Jeffery Schrank, 64.

Mueller, 57, of Waterloo, Ill., has served as president of the Synod's
Southern Illinois District since 1994.  He is a 1979 graduate of
Concordia Seminary, St. Louis.  He and his wife, Faith, have three
children.

Addressing delegates, a somber Harrison said, "If one member suffers,
all suffer together.  If one rejoices, all rejoice together.  Right now
there are many rejoicing and there are many suffering."

He called his election "a tumultuous change in the life of our Synod."
He thanked Kieschnick "for his heart for evangelism and his deep desire
to move the Synod forward," and said there would be "challenging times"
ahead.

He told delegates "you have kept your perfect record of electing sinners
as presidents of the Missouri Synod.  I guarantee you I will sin and
fail.  I will fall short."  Harrison said he forgives those who have
sinned against him, and asked forgiveness "for anything that I said or
did that offended you."

He asked for prayers, and promised to "be as straight with you as I
possibly can, to the best of my ability, guided by the spirit of God."
He said he would "work as hard as I possibly can for unity around the
clear and compelling Word of God and nothing else."

Harrison, 48, graduated with a Master of Divinity in 1989 from Concordia
Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, Ind.  He earned his Master of Sacred
Theology degree from the same institution in 1991, and is currently
pursuing a Doctor of Philosophy degree from Concordia Seminary, St.
Louis.

Prior to his call to LCMS World Relief and Human Care, Harrison served
for more than a decade as a parish pastor in rural (Westgate, Iowa) and
inner-city parishes (Fort Wayne). He served on the LCMS Board for
Mission Services from 1998 to 2001, and is currently on the boards of
Lutheran World Relief, Baltimore, and Lutheran Services in America.

He and his wife, Kathy, have two sons.  The family lives in Ballwin, Mo.

Following the election, delegates stood to sing the Doxology in honor of
Kieschnick's service, and gave him two standing ovations during his
brief comments to the convention.  He thanked all those "who have been
so loving and supporting and accepting and forgiving during these past
nine years of my service as president of The Lutheran Church--Missouri
Synod."  He expressed his "love, appreciation and devotion" to his wife,
Terry; his mother, who was in attendance at the convention; and other
family members.

"It's been an honor and a privilege and a pleasure to serve in this
office," he told delegates.  "It's been a humbling burden and awesome
privilege, and I pray that the Lord will continue to richly bless this
beloved church body that I will always love and will always serve."

Newly elected officers will be installed Sept. 11 in St. Louis.

The Synod's 64th Regular Convention is meeting July 10-17 under the
theme "ONE People--Forgiven."  Among the approximately 3,000
participants are some 1,200 clergy and lay voting delegates.

If you have questions or comments about this LCMSNews release, contact
Joe Isenhower Jr. at joe.isenhower@lcms.org
<mailto:joe.isenhower@lcms.org>  or (314) 996-1231, or Paula Schlueter
Ross at paula.ross@lcms.org <mailto:paula.ross@lcms.org>  or (314)
996-1230.

This Edition of "LCMS News" e-News is provided
by:

Board for Communication Services, Division of News and Information

Contact Editor

<http://www.lcms.org/enews/contact_editor.asp?title=LCMS%20News&editori d
=6>

This LCMS e-News message comes from a "Send Only" mailbox that
does not recognize replies. To reply to this message, please click on
"Contact Editor" above.

>_____

To subscribe to or unsubscribe from this Newsletter and many others,
please visit LCMS e-News <http://www.lcms.org/enews> .
Share this Newsletter <http://www.lcms.org/enews/forward.asp?m=8897
with a Friend.
MessageId=8897 UserId=10073

>_____

© 2002 - 2008 The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod  <http://www.lcms.org/
.
No reproduction without consent. All rights reserved.