From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan’s Wimbledon star gives glory to God for his win

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:23:51 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3045 Edition

>July 5~July 11, 2010

Taiwan’s Wimbledon star gives glory to God for his win

>Reported by Chiou Kuo-rong

>Written by Lydia Ma

Taiwan’s tennis star Lu Yen-hsun became the first Taiwanese  to make the last
eight of a

>Grand Slam at Wimbledon 2010 championships.

On July 2, one day after returning to Taiwan, Lu called a press  conference to
thank his fans for

their support. He also credited his achievements to God, saying it  was God who
carried him

through every peak and valley of his tennis career and enabled him  to come
this far.

Lu beat Andy Roddick from USA on June 28 during Wimbledon’s  quarterfinal games
and

went on to compete against Novak Djokovic from Serbia. Though he  eventually
lost to

Djokovic after three rounds, his effort and passion won the  crowd’s admiration.

Lu’s victory will undoubtedly spark interest among younger  generations in
Taiwan to take up

tennis and maybe play professionally. He made a point to tell  aspiring young
athletes that,

though Taiwan’s tennis training facilities may lag behind  those in North
America or Australia, if

they persevere and hold on, they can still realize their dreams.

Soon after Lu’s victory, controversy arose that the  government had fallen
short in supporting

national athletes training abroad – forcing many of them to  fend for
themselves financially.

Now that some of them have won, the government is basking in the  glory without
having done the work.

For Lu, his victory in the quarterfinals despite limited help and  resources is
a testimony of

God’s provision and he gives God full credit. “This is  my faith. I think
everybody already knows

that I believe in God. I know that God will be with me and will  carry me
through hard times. God

has been by my side through many low points in life.”

Lu’s agent and elder brother, Lu Wei-ru, isn’t shy to  speak about God in front
of the press

either. He thanked San-Chung-Pu Presbyterian Church in Taipei for  nurturing
him and his

brother over the years and said the road to Wimbledon  quarterfinals was a road
marked by

faith and prayer. He added that many angels helped them in times  of need and
carried them through.

To illustrate God’s provision, Lu Wei-ru said that when his  brother was
competing in New

York, their lodging was arranged by Taiwan Union Christian Church  in New York
and the

church even fundraised to help him cover travel expenses and  coaching fees.

“Truly, we give all the glory and credit to God!” he  said.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)