From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] General Theological Seminary leaders say money secured for upcoming school year

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2010 06:03:01 -0400

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - General Theological Seminary leaders say money secured
for upcoming school year
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - NEW JERSEY: Carpenters lend skills to help keep
church feeding ministry alive
* WORLD REPORT - SOUTH AFRICA: Churches in drive to help prevent
xenophobic attacks
* WORLD REPORT - UGANDA: Anglican archbishop expresses horror at
deadly bomb blasts
* OPINION - Stewards of Creation
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS - July 18, 2010 - Eighth Sunday After
Pentecost, Proper 11 - Year C
* DAYBOOK - July 15: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "Simpler Living, Compassionate
Life: A Christian Perspective"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

General Theological Seminary leaders say money secured for upcoming  school year

Remaining debt still looms, interim president tells students

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] General Theological Seminary has reached an
agreement in principle with its bank for a $5.3 million short-term
loan "that will provide working capital for the upcoming school year,"
according to a July 14 press release.

The Rev. Lang Lowrey, GTS interim president, said in a press release
that "definitive agreements and final approval" by both the seminary
and Manufacturers and Traders Trust Company are still needed on the
terms of the loan. General would get a line of credit on which it can
draw for operating expenses until the seminary proceeds as planned
with the sale of four residential units in the building known as
Chelsea 2, 3, 4, the release said.

The loan is to be repaid from the proceeds of the sales which,
according to the release, could take up to a year. Lowrey said in a
letter to trustees that any remaining proceeds from the sales would go
toward further reducing the school's other debts.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_123454_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

NEW JERSEY: Carpenters lend skills to help keep church feeding ministry  alive

>By Sharon Sheridan

[Episcopal News Service] From the time he was a kid, Cuban immigrant
Manny Ortega had a passion for carpentry. "Jesus was a carpenter, so
that always had some kind of meaning to me," he recalled.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_123451_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

SOUTH AFRICA: Churches in drive to help prevent xenophobic attacks

>By Munyaradzi Makoni

[Ecumenical News International, Cape Town] The South African Council
of Churches says it is taking measures in the country's nine provinces
to assist possible victims of xenophobia following some attacks in the
Western Cape province.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_123449_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

UGANDA: Anglican archbishop expresses horror at deadly bomb blasts

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] Anglican Archbishop Henry Orombi of Uganda
has condemned the July 11 suicide bomb blasts that killed nearly 80
and injured a further 70 innocent people who had gathered at a rugby
club and Ethiopian restaurant in the Kabalagala neighborhood of
Kampala to watch the 2010 World Cup soccer final.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_123453_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Stewards of Creation

>By Barbi Click

[Episcopal News Service] As a child, I loved crawling between sheets
taken from the clothes line just hours before my bedtime. I would fall
asleep with the smell of sunshine and the promise of summer in my nose
and imagination. As an adult and owning a home in Texas, there was a
clothes line in the backyard and I used it often. Towels just felt
more absorbent and clothes smelled fresher.

We also had a garden from which we gathered tomatoes, okra, squash, a
few cantaloupes, lots of peppers and even a couple of pumpkins. Basil
and rosemary grew in abundance. A few times, I tried my hand at
canning and freezing. Every year, I dried basil and rosemary. We even
had goats and chickens. The goat milk was used for cheese and soap.
There were always plenty of eggs to share with family and friends.

When we came to the understanding that God was calling us out of Fort
Worth to the Diocese of Missouri, my partner, son and I began a new
phase of our lives as renters. We moved from approximately 1800 square
feet with a barn plus 9 ½ acres into an apartment of less than 1000
square feet with no yard and definitely no clothes line.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_123447_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available
at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

July 18, 2010 - Eighth Sunday After Pentecost, Proper 11 - Year C

>By the Rev. Giovan Venable King

(RCL) Amos 8:1-12 and Psalm 52 (Track 2: Genesis 18:1-10a and Psalm
15); Colossians 1:15-28; Luke 10:38-42

There is an old vaudeville joke about a man and woman dancing in the
Catskills, at a singles resort. "I'm only here for the weekend," the
man says. "I'm dancing as fast as I can," responds the woman.

Martha is that kind of a woman, dancing around her house as fast as
she can, trying to get things ready for her honored guest, and trying
in her own way to make the most of their time together.

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_123135_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On July 15, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On July 15, 1779, Clement C. Moore was born. He
taught Greek and Hebrew Literature at General Theological Seminary for
28 years. He also authored "A Visit from St. Nicholas" ('Twas the
Night Before Christmas...) in 1823.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"Simpler Living, Compassionate Life: A Christian Perspective" edited
and compiled by Michael Schut, paperback, 296 pages, Feb 2009, $20.

[Morehouse Publishing] Editor Michael Schut presents a rare collection
of voices - Henri Nouwen, Cecile Andrews, Richard Foster and others -
as they explore our use of money, the practice of simplicity,
listening to our lives, widening our circle of community, and other
topics at the core of how we live out our faith in our homes and
workplaces. A study guide is included.

Michael Schut is a popular teacher, speaker, and Morehouse author,
focusing on the nexus between faith, sustainability, economics, and
justice. He is currently the economic and environmental affairs
officer of the Episcopal Church, following 11 years on the staff of
Earth Ministry. Simpler Living, Compassionate Life: A Christian
Perspective was originally published in 1999, and won the second best
book of 2000 award by the Catholic Press Association.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.