From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese E-bulletin July 16, 2010

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:27:36 -0700

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10075-0106
Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0237
Web: http://www.goarch.org  - Email: communications@goarch.org

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese E-bulletin July 16, 2010

This is the weekly edition of the GOA E-Bulletin. For more information just
click on the links below to go to the topics of interest to you.

If the link does not work from your email, copy the link and paste it into the
address bar of your web browser.

CLERGY-LAITY CONGRESS: The 40th Biennial Clergy-Laity Congress of the Greek
Orthodox Archdiocese of America was held July 4-8 in Atlanta, Ga.   Visit the
Congress web site for news and photos from the Congress events.  You can also
watch video or read the text of the Keynote Address of Archbishop Demetrios on
the theme of the Congress: Gather My People to My Home: Come and See.

www.clergylaity.org

PARISH MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE INITIATIVE: The Stewardship Commission of the Greek
Orthodox Archdiocese of America has established a Committee on Parish Management
Software. This effort is being carried out in coordination with Greek Orthodox
Archdiocese Departments of Administration, Finance and Information Technologies.
Committee goals are to evaluate Parish Management Software programs currently
available and to make a recommendation to the parishes on the most suitable program
for their needs. Additional benefits might include favorable pricing due to number
of users, customization for use by Orthodox parishes, greater ease of reporting to
the Metropolis and Archdiocese through compatible formats, and better support
through improved communication between parishes and software providers. Meetings
with providers should begin by late summer. Individuals wishing to offer
suggestions and recommendations based upon their experience with specific software
packages are welcome to do so by email to Stewardship @goarch.org or by phone to
the Department of Stewardship, Outreach & Evangelism at 646/519-6160.

OCF CONNECT KIT FOR HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATES: It's not too late to order an OCF
Connect Kit for your graduate. Our kits are full of items to help our students
stay connected to Christ and His Church while away at college.  Visit

www.ocf.net/store

MESSAGE OF ECUMENICAL PATRIARCH BARTHOLOMEW ON GULF OIL SPILL:  His All
Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew has issued a message in response to
the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.  His message laments the
destruction of our natural environment as a result of this disaster.  He calls
for higher levels of accountability and concern for the created order and for
prayers and support for the clean up efforts and actions to prevent future
catastrophes.  You can read the full text of the message at

www.goarch.org/news/patriarch-gulfoilspill%20-05102010

CENTER FOR FAMILY CARE LAUNCHES NEW EMAIL MINISTRY: FAMILY LINK -  Through the
Family Link email ministry, we hope to bring you practical ideas, inspiration,
and upcoming events to assist your family as you grow in the Orthodox faith.
Additionally we will provide ways in which to assist both your family and your
parish's ministry to families. Through the Family Link, we hope to encourage
you to share your resources for family ministry so that we in turn can share
them with others.  To subscribe to Family Link, visit
http://www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/family/familylinklistserv

YOUTH DEPT. PUBLISHES 2010-2011 ECCLESIASTICAL PLANNER: The Department of Youth and Young
Adult Ministries is pleased to announce the publication of the 2010-2011 Ecclesiastical
Planner. This yearâ??s Planner is based upon the Archdiocese theme, â??Come and
Seeâ??, set forth by His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America.  The Planner is an
excellent resource for Orthodox faithful to stay connected to their Faith with daily
lectionary readings and inspirational quotes from scripture and holy men and women of the
Faith. It includes daily fasting guidelines, morning and evening prayers and saints of the
day. The Planner follows the Ecclesiastical
(Church) year beginning in September and ending in August. It makes an
excellent gift for students and helpful resource for church school teachers and
youth workers. The Planner has been published by the Department for over 25
years and is now available for purchase exclusively through the Department of
Religious Education at 800.566.1088 or through the Orthodox Marketplace at

www.orthodoxmarketplace.com

HELLENIC COLLEGE CONTINUES CHRYSOSTOM SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM: Hellenic College
will continue to award a  scholarship to the winner of the senior division
Chrysostom Oratorical Contest of each participating parish .The scholarship is
for 100% of tuition for the first year and 80% of tuition for each of the
following three years providing the student maintains a 3.0 GPA and adheres to
the conduct and standards expected of a student in the college. Winners are not
guaranteed admission to Hellenic College. Students must satisfy admission
requirements for the college in order to be eligible for the scholarship. The
estimated value of the scholarship over fours of study is approximately
$68,000. Those interested are encouraged to contact Mr. Gregory Floor, Director
of Admissions, at 617-850-1285, or via email at gfloor@hchc.edu. Information is
also available on the Hellenic College website at

www.hchc.edu/hellenic/admissions/anniversary-scholarships-continued.html.

THIS WEEK FROM THE ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN NETWORK

COME RECEIVE THE LIGHT - THE NATIONALLY SYNDICATED RADIO PROGRAM OF ORTHODOX
CHRISTIANITY
Dr. George Stavros from the Danielson Institute joins guest host Fr. Steven
Ritter on the program today to talk about the importance of setting up healthy
boundaries in our lives. Plus, hear Fr. Chris' interview with Sara Tomczyk and
Dan Christopoulos of the IOCC about the Tropical Disease program and their
efforts to help those who suffer from the painful disease Podoconiosis in
Ethiopia.
************************
THIS WEEKâ??S PODCASTS
This week on Theologically Thinking, Fr. William Chiganos speaks to us about
the Feeding of the 5000 and two stories told in the book of Matthew. In this
week's episode of Special Moments in Orthodoxy, join us in our way back machine
for a vaulted CRTL where Fr. Christopher speak with Fr. Alkiviadis Calivas on
Faith and Liturgical Practice. For a church to be alive and relevant the Church
must know their Faith. This is one of our Early Programs. This week on OCN Now,
 Fr. Christopher speaks with Kenneth Kidd from the OCMC Orthodox Christian
Mission Center to discuss the SAMP Program. Support A Mission Priest (SAMP) is
a development program of the Orthodox Christian Mission Center that offers
monthly financial assistance to  indigenous
priests in extremely poor areas around the world.
**********************
Announcing our Guest Summer Host of CRTL
This summer, get to know our guest host Fr. Steven Ritter from St. Mary of
Egypt Orthodox Church (ROCOR) in Roswell, Georgia, and author of That Your Joy
May Be Full! Fr. Ritter will be interviewing guests like Fr. Andrew Louth, Dr.
Albert Rossi, Dr. Elizabeth Prodromou, Fr. Luke Veronis and many more! Tune in
each week to hear new interviews with the best and brightest of Orthodoxy!
*******************
OCN and YOUR iPhone - With the release of the Ark and the Rudder in one convenient
and free download, listeners will have even more options from which to listen to
OCN's Orthodox liturgical music, groundbreaking podcasts and contemporary Orthodox
music. To download your copy, go to the iTunes application store and type ocn. The
download is free and is effortless to install. Visit our web site for details at
http://www.myocn.net/administrator/components/com_civicrm/civicrm/extern/url
.php?u=1229&qid=829738.
*******************
SHARE THE LIGHT PARTNERS
Our partners are the backbone of the OCN.  We are grateful to God for them as
they form the foundation of the endeavor to Share our Faith with the world.
Have you ever considered joining us at this level of commitment?  We currently
have 45 partners for this year with a goal of reaching 75 by the end of the
summer.  So why not join us today?  Visit our web site to learn more and take
action.  Share the Light Partners donate a gift of $1,000 or more during the
course of the year and can donate on line or call Kathy at our national
headquarters at 954-522-5567 to learn more.
Don't delay act today!  Our faith is to sacred and our mission to important to
not have a strong media voice in this world.  Thank you in advance for
considering becoming one of our special partners.

**********************
FACEBOOK and TWITTER
Have you joined the thousands on OCNâ??s Facebook and Twitter pages? Join us to
follow programming and events covered on the ARK, the RUDDER and the Anchor. While
you are at it tell your friends to visit as well.
*******************
RADIO SOLUTIONS for Orthodox Christian Parishes Worldwide
The Orthodox Christian Network (The OCN) is pleased to announce a new service
to Orthodox parishes and ministries world wide?Customized Online Radio
Stations. Since recently acquiring new online radio server software, we can now
offer completely customized 24/7 online radio stations in a cost effective and
efficient way allowing parishes to stay connected to their parishioners more so
than ever before. OCN looks forward to being your supplier of customized
Orthodox Christian programming. For more information about Orthodox Internet
radio solutions visit our web site at www.myocn.net or call us today at
954-522-5567 to speak to one of our support staff.
*******************
LAND BASED STATION
Have you ever thought of having your own land based radio program in your city
which features your church as both an outreach to your own parishioners and a
beacon of light to those looking for the TRUE FAITH!  Call us today to find out
how you can do it! 954-522-5567.
*******************
ADVERTISING/SPONSORSHIP Opportunities
Sponsor a program or feature your company on the high trafficked MyOCN.net
website. OCN is now making available the opportunity for people and
corporations to advertise on our site to support the ministry. Ad space is
available so call our headquarters to discuss it. Call today 954-522-5567.
**********************
INTERNET RADIO STATIONS
Log on to myocn.net to listen to the Ark, the Rudder and the Anchor to hear
special programming. Whether you enjoy contemporary, traditional Orthodox music
or a talk format there is something for you at myocn.net. Join the hundreds of
thousands of people worldwide visiting us every week.

All programs available on Internet Radio, Podcast and On Demand at
www.myocn.net.

LOOKING FOR A JOB: OrthodoxJobs.com is the source for Orthodox Christians who
are seeking employment in an Orthodox Christian or Christian environment. In
its current version, it is a posting site of Job opportunities for any
Archdiocese, Metropolis, Diocese, Parish, or Organization that falls under the
jurisdiction of SCOBA, the Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in
the Americas. To post a job on this site, simply send us a job ad/posting with
contact information and duration of the posting. Future releases will include
resources for employers and employees.

www.orthodoxjobs.com

DAILY BIBLE READINGS FOR FACEBOOK AND iGoogle: The Department of Internet
Ministries has launched an enhancement to its Online Chapel service that will
now provide Facebook and iGoogle users access to the daily Bible readings and
lives of the saints directly from their customized home pages. Visit the Online
Chapel at www.goarch.org/chapel  for more information on how to add the new
Online Chapel for Facebook and Online Chapel for iGoogle to your home pages

SUPPORT THE ARCHDIOCESE WHILE SEARCHING or SHOPPING ON THE WEB:  The Greek
Orthodox Archdiocese has partnered with GoodSearch.com, a new search engine
that donates half its revenue, about a penny per search, to the charities its
users designate. You use it just as you would any search engine, and it's