From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Hurricane Katrina recovery camps due to shut down in August

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2010 04:28:48 -0400

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Hurricane Katrina recovery camps due to shut down in  August
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - ARIZONA: Sudanese congregation still fearful of
being targeted
* MISSION FOCUS - Seminary gets grant to partner with standing
commission on same-gender blessings work
* OPINION - Faith, poverty and the MDGs: The time is now
* DAYBOOK - July 19: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "Just Where Does God Live?"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Hurricane Katrina recovery camps due to shut down in August

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] Two stalwarts of the post-Hurricane Katrina
recovery effort on the Gulf Coast will close their doors at the end of
August, just after the fifth anniversary of the devastating storm that
destroyed a wide swath of the coast.

Mission on the Bay in Bay St. Louis, which had earlier merged with the
Diocese of Mississippi's Camp Coast Care, is due to close by Aug. 31.
Also due to close that day is Camp Victor. Both organizations, run by
Lutheran Episcopal Services of Mississippi, began as camps to shelter
survivors of the Aug. 29, 2005 storm and then served as staging
grounds for volunteers who traveled to the coast to help with recovery
and rebuilding.

Mississippi Bishop Duncan Gray III told ENS via email July 16 that the
camps' efforts, "supported by thousands of volunteers from around the
world, have helped rebuild homes and lives."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_123535_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

ARIZONA: Sudanese congregation still fearful of being targeted
'A wound in the church' remains, a year after police confrontation
with worshippers

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] Although the confrontation between police and
two worshippers at St. Paul the Apostle Episcopal Sudanese Church in
the Diocese of Arizona happened a year ago, there is still "a wound in
the church," according to the Rev. Anderia Arok, vicar.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_123529_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION FOCUS

Seminary gets grant to partner with standing commission on same-gender
blessings work

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] Church Divinity School of the Pacific has
been awarded a grant of $404,000 by the Arcus Foundation to support
the development of liturgical resources for blessing same-gender
relationships in the Episcopal Church.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_123536_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission Focus: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Faith, poverty and the MDGs: The time is now

>By Peter Wallace

[Episcopal News Service] As host of the weekly, nationally syndicated
radio program "Day 1," I work with a diverse array of church leaders
from the mainline denominations. Most are pastors or seminary
professors, but occasionally we have a layperson as our featured
speaker.

Recently I was privileged to record one rather well known layperson:
former President Jimmy Carter.

Early on a recent Friday morning, our crew set up video and audio
equipment in a meeting room at The Carter Center in Atlanta. We had
been allocated a very brief window in the former president's
jam-packed schedule, between a major policy meeting and a magazine
photo shoot.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_123507_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On July 19, 2010, the church remembers Macrina, monastic and teacher.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On July 19, 1649, Edward Winslow, governor of the
Plymouth Colony, helped organize the Society for Propagating the
Gospel in New England.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"Just Where Does God Live?" by Scott J. Brown, paperback, 48 pages, c.
2009, $13.99.

[WinePress Publishing] Six-year-old buddies, Parker and Nate, can't
stop wondering about that question, so they embark on a quest to learn
where God lives. Not quite satisfied with the responses they receive,
they go to the source and ask God.

When his 6-year old son asked that question, Scott Brown answered with
"a knee-jerk response that satisfied neither him nor me."

Later that day, Brown -- an Episcopal priest -- wrote a story that
more adequately answered his son's question. The result is Just Where
Does God Live?, a picture book written in rhyming verse and splashed
with watercolor illustrations by San Antonio artist, Enedina Vasquez.

While Brown's goal in writing the book was to help his son understand
that God lives in him, the book is also for parents. "Parents need
help answering the tough questions their children ask about faith,
God, and everyday life," Brown says. "I hope to provide parents with
the tools to help their children find answers to those questions."

Just Where Does God Live? combines simple, lighthearted verse with
stunning illustrations to help children understand how special they
are in God's eyes.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.